Oleksandr Dobzhanskyi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Kiev National University of Construction & Architecture
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Louisiana State University
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Louisiana State University
- Electrical Circuits
- Power System Analysis
- Power Distribution Systems
With more than 10 years of extensive experience in the field, Oleksandr Dobzhanskyi has participated in a variety of academic and research projects including the National Science Foundation and U.S. Department of Energy. Prior to joining Point Park, Dr. Dobzhanskyi taught as an assistant professor at the Oregon Institute of Technology and the American University of Iraq. Other previous positions included visiting professor at the Universidad de Ingeniería y Tecnología in Lima, Peru and teaching assistant at Louisiana State University. He was a research associate at the Oregon Renewable Energy Center (OREC), research assistant at Louisiana State University and held a postdoctoral fellowship at North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
- Electrical machines
- Wave and wind energy systems
- Electric propulsion systems
- Electric drives for space rovers
V. Grebenikov, O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gamaliia, R. Gouws, "Improvement of Transverse-Flux Machine Characteristics by Finding an Optimal Air-Gap Diameter and Coil Cross-Section at the Given Magneto-Motive Force of the PMs," Energies, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2021.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, Eklas Hossain, Ebrahim Amiri, R. Gouws, V. Grebenikov, L. Mazurenko, M. Pryjmak and R. Gamaliia, “Axial-Flux PM Disk Generator with Magnetic Gear for Oceanic Wave Energy Harvesting,” IEEE Access, Vol. 7, March 29, 2019.
- Botha, N. Zabihi, O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “Intelligent Fuzzy Logic Controller for Improved Power Extraction of Micro Wind Turbines,” International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7, Issue 4, 2018.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “Analysis of PM Transverse Flux Outer Rotor Machines with Different Configuration,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 53, Issue 5, pp. 4260 – 4268, Sep.–Oct. 2017.
- O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “3-D Finite Element Method Analysis of Twin-Armature Permanent Magnet Motor with Two Degrees of Mechanical Freedom,” Springer Electrical Engineering, 99(3), 997-1004, Aug. 17, 2017.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “On the Role of Magnetic Shunts on Increasing Performance of Transverse-Flux Machines,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 53, Issue 2, pp.: 1-9, Oct. 25, 2016.
- O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “Performance Analysis of a Permanent Magnet Transverse-Flux Generator with Double Coil,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 52, Issue 1, pp: 1-11, Jan. 1 2016.
- Zabihi, R. Gouws and O. Dobzhanskyi, “Using Dynamic Model of PEM-Fuel Cell Supplying the Load by the Z-Source Inverter with a New Control Strategy,” International Journal of Research in Engineering and Science, Vol. 2, Issue 2, India, July 2014.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, P. Gottipati, E. Karaman, Xiaozhong Luo, E. Mendrela and A.M. Trzynadlowsky, “Multilayer-Winding Versus Switched-Flux Permanent-Magnet AC Machines for Gearless Applications in Clean-Energy Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 48, Issue: 6, pp: 2296-2302, Nov. 2011.
- O. Dobzhanskyi and E. Mendrela, “Twin-Armature Rotary-Linear PM Motor,” Journal of Electrical Systems (JES), Vol. 6, pp. 480-486, Dec. 6-4, 2010.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, E. Amiri, “Performance Analysis of the Transverse-Flux Machine with High Number of Poles for Large Wind, Hydro, and Electric Ship Propulsion Systems,” 2020 IEEE Green Technologies Conference (GreenTech), online presentation, March 2020.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, “Comparison Analysis of Cylindrical and Rectangular Linear Permanent Magnet Transverse-Flux Machines for Wave Energy Applications,” 12th International Symposium on Linear Drives for Industry Applications (LDIA), Neuchatel, Switzerland, July 1-3, 2019.
- O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “Magnetic Circuit Analysis of the Low-Cost In-Wheel Switching Flux Motor for HEV Applications,” IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), San Diego, Ca., May 2019, pp.: 623-628.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, “PM BLDC Actuator with Helical Motion of the Rotor for Industrial Applications,” IEEE Texas Power and Energy Conference (TPEC), College Station, Tex., pp.: 1-6, Feb. 7, 2019.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “Design Considerations of the PM Transverse Flux Linear Motor for an Urban-Type Electromagnetic Train," 2018 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), June 13-15, 2018.
- Koochaki, M. Divandari, E. Amiri and O. Dobzhanskyi, “Optimal Design of Solar-Wind Hybrid System Using Teaching-Learning Based Optimization Applied in Charging Station for Electric Vehicles,” 2018 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), June 13-15, 2018.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “Optimal Switching-Flux Motor Design and Its Cogging Effect Reduction,” IEEE 58th International Scientific Conference on Power and Electrical Engineering of Riga Technical University (RTUCON), Oct. 12-13, 2017.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “Comparison Analysis of AC PM Transverse-Flux Machines of Different Designs in Terms of Power Density and Cost,” IEEE 58th International Scientific Conference on Power and Electrical Engineering of Riga Technical University (RTUCON), Oct. 12-13, 2017.
- O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “Comparison Analysis of Electric Motors with Two Degrees of Mechanical Freedom: PM Synchronous Motor vs. Induction Motor,” International Young Scientist Forum on Applied Physics and Engineering (YSF-2016), Kharkiv, Ukraine, Oct. 10-14, 2016. (Second prize Award).
- A. Bisschoff, O. Dobzhanskyi and R. Gouws, “Integration of Battery and Super-Capacitor Banks into a Single-Power System for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” International Young Scientist Forum on Applied Physics and Engineering (YSF-2016), Kharkiv, Ukraine, Oct. 10-14, 2016.
- O. Dobzhanskyi, R. Gouws and E. Amiri, “Comparison Analysis of PM Transverse Flux Outer Rotor Machines with and without Magnetic Shunts,” IEEE ECCE Conf., Milwaukee, Wis., Sep. 18-22, 2016.