Jill Thomas, Ph.D.
Part-Time Faculty Member, Psychology
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Theatre Design and Technology with a minor in Psychology, Otterbein College
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology, Miami University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, Miami University
Certifications and Licensures
- AASECT Certified Sex Therapist
- Certified Provider of Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD
- Licensed Psychologist, Pennsylvania and Florida
- Psychological Foundations
- Psychology of Emotion
Licensed psychologist Jill C. Thomas, Ph.D., is a part-time faculty member in the Department of Psychology at Point Park University. Prior to joining Point Park, Thomas had a private practice called "Alive and Thriving: Psychological Services for Your Well-Being" in Temple Terrace, Fla., in which she provided individual and couples therapy from a humanistic framework. She also worked as a clinical psychologist providing outpatient services at a VA community-based outpatient clinic and VA home-based psychological care in Tampa, Fla. Before that, she served in various roles at SUNY Upstate Medical University including assistant director of internship training, assistant professor and co-director of student counseling. Early in her career, Dr. Thomas was assistant to the director of case management and a mental health case manager for CRI in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Expanding and developing humanistic approaches to sex therapy
- Experiential Personal Construct Psychology and its application to various problems in living
- Critical approaches to understanding and changing problematic cultural narratives/practices
Selected Conference Presentations
- "An EPCP understanding of internet pornography addiction: Relationships and dependency in the age of the internet," 19th International Congress on Personal Construct Psychology, Boston, Mass., July 2011.
- "Trust in the therapeutic relationship: What they don't teach you in graduate school," 14th Biennial Conference of the Constructivist Psychology Network, Niagara Falls, N.Y., July 2010.
- "The power of multiplicity in an ongoing dream group," co-presented at the 23rd International Conference for the Association of the Study of Dreams, Bridgewater, Mass., June 2006.
- "Experiential personal construct psychology and social activism," 16th International Congress on Personal Construct Psychology, Columbus, Ohio, July 2005.
- "Socially responsible teaching using participatory action research," Psychologists for the Social Responsibility Conference, Portland, Ore., May 2005.
- "Growing as therapists: Using Tschundi's ABC model in supervision," co-presented at the 15th International Congress on Personal Construct Psychologist, University of Huddersfield, U.K., July 2003.
Current Professional Memberships
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists
- International Association of Trauma Professionals
- CPN Steering Committee
- American Psychological Association
- Constructivist Psychology Network
Point Park Features
- "Centered on Mental Health," The Point, Winter 2018 issue.
- "Psychology Doctoral Student Inspires Creative Activism as Founder of Free Imagination Leaders," Point Park University website, Sept. 1, 2017.
- "M.A. in Clinical-Community Psychology Student Creates Nonprofit to Help People in Need," Point Park University website, May 4, 2017.
- "Faculty Profile: Jill Thomas, Ph.D., Discusses Her Passion for Clinical Psychology," Point Park University website, Nov. 15, 2016.
- "Point Park Welcomes 14 New Full-Time Faculty," Point Park University website, Aug. 17, 2016.