Honors Student Organization
Honors Student Organization Provides Leadership, Volunteer Opportunities
The Honors Student Organization is a student-run group for Honors Program members and students of any major. Beginning freshman year, students in HSO can apply for a leadership role, volunteer to serve on a committee, as well as lead projects and activities.
HSO students lead numerous leadership and volunteer activities throughout the year, including:
- Alternative Spring Break (past trips included helping nonprofits in New York City).
- Annual 9/11 remembrance and Flight 93 National Memorial visit
- Annual Pittsburgh Great Race volunteering
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Dreams projects
- National Collegiate Honors Council and Northeast Regional conferences
- Pittsburgh cultural and professional meetings and events
- Storytelling and Human Rights Symposium
- Susan G. Komen fundraiser
- "Welcome to Honors" orientation program before classes begin
HSO has regular meetings throughout the semester, along with other activities and events. Check out information about meeting dates and locations on the HSO Facebook page.
HSO Executive Board Members
- President: Alexis Bonifate, political science major with a mass communication minor
- President-Elect: Natalea Hillen, journalism major
- Secretary: MC Carder, acting major
- Treasurer: Kelsey Geary, sports, arts and entertainment management major
- Academic Events Coordinator: Babina Khanal, graphic and interactive design major
- Social Events Coordinator: Shelby Armetta, business management major
- Service Events Coordinator: Gabbie Baxter, psychology major with a concentration in forensic psychology
- Marketing and Social Media Coordinator: Sara Buchdahl, theatre arts major with a stage-management minor