Scholastic Writing Awards
The Honors Program at Point Park University is proud to be the Pittsburgh regional affiliate of the Scholastic Writing Awards, the nation’s longest-running, most prestigious recognition program for creative teens. Teens in grades 7–12, age 13 years and older, are invited to enter their art or writing for the chance to win recognition, publication, exhibition, and up to $10,000 in scholarships.
At the regional level, works earn Honorable Mention, Silver Key, or Gold Key distinction. Gold Key work advances to the national level; at this level works can earn Gold, Silver with Distinction, and Silver Portfolio, and Gold and Silver Medal, as well as American Voices distinction.
2023-24 Scholastic Writing Awards Guidelines
Point Park University will host the Pittsburgh region's 2023-24 Scholastic Writing Awards at the Pittsburgh Playhouse in Downtown Pittsburgh. Event details to follow. Guidelines for this year's competition are listed below:
NEW submission deadline:
- Fri., Dec. 29, 2023
- If using a check, payment can be made after the submission deadline. Read the instructions below.
- $10 per submission
- $30 per Writing Portfolio (only seniors may submit portfolios)
- Students may download a fee waiver from their Scholastic account.
How to pay:
Students, parents/caregivers or schools may pay with a credit card directly to Scholastic on the portal when students submit.
Pay with a check, made out to Point Park University. Only pay with ONE check for all submissions: For example, if a student enters five submissions, send one $50 check (5 x $10 per submission). For schools paying for multiple students, please pay with one check for all students and include names and titles of work. Also, include a cover sheet with the following information: Student name, title(s) of work and category for each work.
Checks can be sent in after the submission deadline, however, we ask that you please put the check in the mail promptly so we can reconcile payment in January. Please do not send cash.
Mail check to:
Point Park University
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Attn: Leslie Wessner | 13th Fl West Penn Hall
If you have questions, please email Leslie Wessner, Pittsburgh region affiliate coordinator at email@example.com
Pittsburgh region winners
Congratulations to all of our regional 2023 winners, including American Voice nominees Katriel Camp (The Ellis School), Grace Glowczewski (Pittsburgh CAPA), Jocelyn Hayes (Winchester Thurston), Alexander Sayette (Winchester Thurston) and Sarah Voigt (Shady Side Academy).
National winners from the Pittsburgh region:
- Grace Boyer, The Ellis School, Silver Medal, Personal Essay & Memoir, "Imposter Syndrome in Soba"
- Sydney Cutruzzula, Westinghouse Arts Academy Charter School, Silver Medal, Poetry, "Always for Others"
- Grace Glowczewski, Pittsburgh CAPA School, American Voices Medal, Poetry, "La Brega"
- Elaine Gombos, Shady Side Academy Senior School, Silver Medal, Critical Essay, "From Enemies to Lovers: Japanese War Brides and Their Influence on Multiculturalism in the United States"
- Thomas Gordon, Winchester Thurston School, Silver Medal, Critical Essay, "Envisioning an Ethical A.I."
- Tessa Gumberg, The Ellis School, Silver Medal, Critical Essay, "The Irrational are Raising our Children!"
- Mark Harris, Penn Trafford High School, Silver Medal, Flash Fiction, "Moose Crossing"
- Leslie Rwigyema, Carlynton Jr Senior High School, Silver Medal, Short Story, "Lilac Syndrome"
- Sarah Voigt, Shady Side Academy Senior School, Silver Medal, Flash Fiction, "Wonder Girl"
- Esme Warman, The Ellis School, Silver Medal, Critical Essay, "How Henrik Ibsen and Mary Wollstonecraft Criticize Separate Spheres"
- Listen to these interviews about the Scholastic Writing Awards with Leslie Wessner, regional coordinator:
- Read about the Scholastic Writing Awards here.
- For details about the Pittsburgh region awards, such as regional guidelines, deadlines, directions and announcements on the ceremony, visit our regional microsite.
For more information, contact Leslie Wessner, regional coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.