Skip to main content

Qualifying for financial aid

Undergraduate and Graduate Students

To be eligible for financial aid consideration you must:

  • Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program. Many government and institutional scholarships and grants require that recipients enroll as half-time students (6 credits or more) each semester to be eligible.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or provide documentation of permanent resident or refugee status.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.
  • Have not been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree and be in good academic standing. Withdrawal from all classes requires a separate calculation.

International Students

Only U.S. citizens are eligible for government grant and loan assistance. International students, however, are eligible for institutional scholarship aid from Point Park. Read more about international student scholarship opportunities.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students enrolled in programs that do not lead to the awarding of a degree or certificate by the institution (e.g. ABCTE program) are not eligible for financial aid. This includes high school students enrolled in post-secondary courses for credit, as these students are not yet degree or certificate seeking.

What Happens If You Have an Unexpected Hardship?

If there is a change in your family's finances after you apply for financial aid, please let us know. The Office of Financial Aid can review your eligibility to ensure you receive as much aid as possible. The Financial Aid Appeals Committee meets weekly to consider special circumstances and changing family situations. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 412-392-3930.

Drug Conviction Notice

If a student is convicted for a drug offense that occurs while a student is receiving federal Title IV aid, you may experience a loss of your eligibility for federal financial assistance. The information below satisfies the University's requirement to notify you under a separate and concise notice.

Federal law provides that a student who has been convicted of an offense under any federal or state law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving financial aid shall not be eligible to receive any federal or institutional grant, loan or work assistance during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified in the following table.

If convicted of an offense involving:

Possession of a Controlled Substance Ineligibility Period
First Offense 1 Year
Second Offense 2 Years
Third Offense Indefinite
Sale of a Controlled Substance
Ineligibility Period
First Offense 2 Years
Second Offense Indefinite
  • A student whose eligibility has been suspended based on a conviction for possession or sale of a controlled substance may resume eligibility before the end of the ineligibility period if:
  • The student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program that:
    • complies with the criteria prescribed in the federal regulations; and
    • includes two unannounced drug tests;
  • The student successfully passes two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with the criteria prescribed in the federal regulations; or
  • The conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered nugatory.

Questions about Eligibility?

We are here to help. Contact us today.