Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program
The Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program provides a waiver for tuition and mandatory fees charged by most postsecondary institutions located in the Commonwealth for youth who are or were in foster care.
This waiver applies only to charges that remain after all other gift aid (federal, state, and other scholarships or grants) have been applied to the student's account.
Am I Eligible?
To be considered for a Fostering Independence Tuition Education Waiver, you must:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Be under the age of 26
- Have received a high school diploma or equivalent approved credential
- Be eligible for services under Pennsylvania's John H. Chafee Foster Care Program for Successful Transition to Adulthood
- Be identified as a youth in foster care or a youth discharged or adopted from foster care at age 16
- Exited foster care on or after age 16 to adoption or permanent legal custodianship
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate, at least half time in a postsecondary institution that is approved by the U.S. Department of Education for Title V student assistance programs
- Demonstrate financial need for the PA Chafee Education and Training Grant (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (as determined by the postsecondary institution)
- Not be in default on a federal student loan
- File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
How Do I Receive the Waiver?
- File the FAFSA
- Enroll in an eligible PA postsecondary institution.
- Complete the Chafee Education and Training Grant Program Application.
- Mail or fax your completed Chafee application to:
State Grant and Special Programs
P.O. Box 8157
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8157
Contact us with questions about the Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program:
Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Director of Student Intervention