Skip to main content

Student Employment Based on Financial Need

Federal Work-Study

This federal program provides campus-based employment for undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need. Money earned from a work-study job is not counted as income for the subsequent year's financial aid analysis. Eligibility guidelines include:

  • Student must demonstrate a financial need, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Student must be enrolled for at least 12 credits (full-time) and maintain good academic standing
  • Student must complete a FAFSA form each year to maintain eligibility.

An informational session is held at the beginning of the year for all new and returning students. Every student must attend if interested in accepting a federal work-study position.

Read more about federal work study.

State Work-Study

Students are hired for state work-study jobs on campus over the summer, from mid-May until mid-August. Eligibility requirements include:

  • Student must be a Pennsylvania resident
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits)
  • Student must be a state grant recipient, if an undergraduate student; or subsidized federal loan recipient, if a graduate student
  • Student must not owe a state grant refund or have defaulted on any student loan

Read more about state work study.

Other Types of Student Employment


Apprenticeships are available for students who are majoring in any mass communication or performing arts field. Students in the Conservatory of Performing Arts may be offered talent apprenticeships based on their auditions or interviews. These are job-related awards, and students must work scheduled hours each week to earn the monthly stipend. Students in the School of Communication may apply to work as apprentices. Apprenticeships allow students to gain work experience in their field before applying for an internship at outside companies, firms and institutions.

Additional Opportunities

For information about other on-campus as well as off-campus job opportunities, contact the Career Development Center.