Skip to main content

Answers to your questions

Check below for answers to the most frequently asked questions we receive about veterans benefits. If you need additional information, please contact Deb Bateman, Point Park's veterans benefits coordinator, at 412-392-3433 or

Veteran students who qualify for 100% tuition assistance and in some cases those who qualify for less than 100% assistance do not have to submit a deposit. Qualified students may contact the Veterans Services Office to have the deposit waived.
Late fees are a monthly fee that is posted to a student's account if an outstanding balance is present after all sources of aid are verified. If you believe you have received a late fee in error, please contact the Student Accounts Office and/or the Veterans Services Office.
Yes. Every student who wishes to receive veteran's education benefits must complete a benefits card every semester for which he or she is enrolled.
Schedule changes of any kind are to be reported to the Veterans Services Office immediately so that correct information is reported for certification.
Yes. Veterans often qualify for additional aid even if they are eligible at the 100% rate. Completing the FAFSA does not mean you have applied for student loans.
Yes, we do. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.
No. The application fee is waived for our veteran applicants.
The sooner you submit your benefits form, the sooner your enrollment will be certified, within the VA guidelines. This can be done through the Veterans Benefits Form
The number to reach a VA representative is 1-888-GIBILL. Calling the VA may result in long hold times, especially in peak weeks/months. You may have better results with "Submit a Question," which can be done on the VA website.
The merit award is subtracted prior to reporting your tuition and fees to the VA. Not only does this adhere to VA regulations, it will also allow your annual funding to extend further through the year.
You can always contact Deb Bateman, Point Park's director of veterans services, at or 412-392-3433. If she can't assist you she will get you in touch with someone who can.

An assigned "W" (withdrawal) for a class must be reported to the VA as a "non-punitive grade." The VA may ask that a portion or all of your BAH/stipend be returned. Failing grades are not reported. However, if failing grades result in you being placed on academic probation, it will be reported to the VA.

Point Park has policies in place that allow for options if deployed. Please see our Veterans Resources page.
BAH amounts are determined by the VA using a formula that takes into account the number of days per month you are in class, the length of the term or sub term, and the type of class ( distance ed etc). Any changes to any of the above could result in a change in the amount of the monthly BAH. Also, if a semester/term ends at the beginning of a month, and a new semester/term begins during that same month, two checks may be issued for that month.