Piano Accompanist - Dance
POSITION: Accompanist (Dance)
STATUS: Part-time, Hourly, As Needed
DEPARTMENT: Conservatory of Performing Arts (COPA)
REPORTS TO: Accompanist Supervisor
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Responsible for providing piano accompaniment for studio/class dance work.
REQUIREMENTS: Excellent sight-reading and accompanying skill in many musical genres, but especially ballet and modern dance repertoire; must have organizational skills appropriate to the variances of university course time scheduling.
- Select music to artistically and technically stimulate dance students, utilizing excellent sight-reading and accompanying skills.
- Oversee the efficient use of studio time by quickly and correctly selecting music and accompanying in appropriate meter and tempo.
- Assist in clarifying rhythms, phrases and lengths of exercises.
- Perform music suitable for Modern, Ballet, Jazz, Folk, Character, Pointe, Male Technique, Variations, and/or Pas Deux classes.
- Develop the vocabularly of dance by observing other accompanists, by discussion with instructors, and by utilizing written materials.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must have pianistic skills able to withstand several hours of accompanying per day.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - ACCOMPANIST-DANCE - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.