First Hand / Stitcher
POSITION: First Hand/Stitcher
REPORTS TO: Costume Studio Supervisor/Designer
DEPARTMENT: Playhouse CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in theatre or equivalent with at least 3 years practical experience
- Professional costume construction experience with a thorough knowledge of costume construction techniques.
- Organization and management skills.
- Additional crafts, wigs, millinery, make-up skills a plus.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Responsible for the production of new costumes and the refurbishment/alteration of existing costumes for all Playhouse productions. Supervise and train student workers. Oversee quality control and workroom standards.
EFFORT: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings. Job requires repetitively lifting light weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities.
OTHER: The scope of the job may require working evenings and/or weekends, particularly prior to openings of theatre production presentations.
- Supervises students and advises on methodologies for made to order garments and alterations with clear and specific instructions.
- Supervises and participates in the cutting, mock up, stitching and fitting of all costumes.
- Assist in the creation of patterns and makes and grades patterns for facings and linings based on patterns.
- Assist in establishing standards for costume construction in the workroom, and oversees quality control and consistency of construction.
- Experienced in a variety of hand sewing techniques and a variety of machine sewing techniques including industrial sewing machines. Ability to operate industrial irons and steamers.
- Attend fittings when needed.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - First Hand / Stitcher - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.