POSITION: Master Cutter/Draper
REPORTS TO: Costumer Shop Manager
REQUIREMENTS: Minimum Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in the field; minimum 3 years practical experience as a Cutter/Draper in a professional setting; minimum 5 years of professional garment construction experience or equivalent; and a thorough knowledge of garment construction techniques, work-room industry standards and safety protocol.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Creates the patterns and supervises construction of garments as designed by the Costume Designer. Fits and oversees alterations and reworking of built, rented and pulled garments, as assigned. Maintain quality control and work-room industry standards and safety protocol. Mentor students in all aspects of garment construction, quality control, industry standards and safety protocol.
- Sets the standards for garment construction in the workroom, and oversees quality control and consistency of construction while maintaining a safe work environment.
- Creates and/or oversees the creation of patterns by draping or flat patterning for individual garments.
- Supervises and participates in the cutting, mock up, stitching and fitting of all costumes.
- Supervises and advises students on methodologies for made-to-order garments and alterations with clear and specific instructions.
- Assists Costume Studio Manager with the evaluation of students' strengths and level of experience to help in the development of educational growth.
- Works closely with the Costume Shop Manager to estimate time and materials needed for each project while developing methods and techniques to achieve goals and adhere to deadlines.
- In consultation with the Costume Designer and Costume Shop Manager discusses costumes and how they are to be constructed.
- Researches the period, style and techniques necessary to complete the costumes, working with the Costume Designer and the Designer's renderings.
- Maintain operational knowledge for multiple studio machines (sewing, industrial sewing, cover-lock, over-lock, walking foot, blind hem) tools, (scissors, rotary cutter, electronic sheers, distressing equipment, etc.) and equipment (dye vat, distressing tumbler, industrial iron and steam generator).
- Attend fittings.
- Informs Costume Shop Manager of needed supplies and equipment maintenance and repair in a timely manner.
- Basic working knowledge of painting and dyeing techniques as it relates to fabric and stage garments for the theatre.
- Working knowledge of millinery, leather work, cobbling, jewelry techniques, corsetry, and distressing techniques as needed.
- Follows tech protocol.
- Attend technical rehearsals as needed.
- Attend production meetings as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Costume Shop Manager.
Working Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Physical Demands: Job requires repetitively lifting weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities; frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions; mobility within office. Ability to walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs. Ability to use hands and fingers to handle office equipment, records, files. Required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Vision abilities read documents. Ability to talk and hear. Ability to lift up to 15 lbs.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - MASTER CUTTER/DRAPER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.