SCHEDULE: 10 month position (83% FTE); Works August-May; paid over 12 months
REPORTS TO: Scenic Charge
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Assist in the supervision and management of all applications of scenic art for productions, projects, and related activities produced or presented by the Pittsburgh Playhouse. Duties include responding to the needs of the Playhouse by producing painted stage scenery and drops, painting props, floors, scenic interiors, etc. Keep an up-to-date knowledge of new and improved painting techniques in order to produce work to the highest standards possible within the time and resources available. Participate in the day-to-day operations of the scenic painting workshop, using appropriate working methods that demonstrate a positive approach to health and safety.
- Minimum two years experience in theatrical scenic painting or equivalent professional or educational experience.
- Supervisory skills are required.
- Some mechanical skills in the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to read and understand ground plans, color renderings, and paint elevations.
- Ability to communicate painting techniques to others.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required.
- Great interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Artistic application required scenic art that is needed for the final finish (i.e. texturing, sculpting, rendering, etc.) on all sets.
- Assist in supervision of student and over hire paint crews.
- Follow any and all required techniques and procedures of each show as set by Scenic Charge.
- Assist in advising, maintaining and meeting paint schedules for each production.
- Assist in determining processes, methods, materials and handling for all paint processes.
- Assist in providing a comprehensive learning experience for students enrolled in theatre practicum including apprentices, federal work studies and production students by instructing and supervising them in the processes, methods, materials and handling for all paint processes. Assigning tasks to student assistants and crews, and supervising students in the execution of scenic elements.
- Assist in generating development samples
- Assist in maintaining paint room, paint tools, supplies and inventories.
- Touch up paint on sets during run of show as needed.
- Ensure a safe working environment.
- Maintain a current knowledge of all developments of recommended upgrades in equipment to the Scenic Charge.
- Responsible for assistance in managerial paperwork including work study and apprenticeships.
- Attend staff and production meetings as needed.
- Provide assistance as needed for events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Working Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Physical Demands: Job requires repetitive lifting of light weight objects with frequent bending and stooping, or repetitively lift average weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities. Occasionally lifts heavy objects (over 50 lbs).
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - SCENIC ARTIST - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.