POSITION: Scenic Carpenter/Welder
DEPARTMENT: Pittsburgh Playhouse
REPORTS TO: Scene Shop Foreman
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To construct and assist in the construction/set up in all aspects of the various scenic elements for the Pittsburgh Playhouse productions, related projects, and events; and to contribute to the creation of the highest standards in all the Playhouse operations. Duties include, performing carpentry, welding and light metal fabrication in the preparation and construction of scenic elements with deadlines set by department, assist with the installation and rigging of scenic elements and instruct student crews on the operation of scenic elements, assist with the supervision of student crews, attend all "strike" calls, perform routine and special maintenance on stage equipment, shop equipment and stage houses, maintain all scenery during the run of the show, and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Two years' relevant experience. Theatrical/film scenic carpentry and light MIG welding.
- Knowledgeable of industry standard tools, operation, and safety.
- Knowledgeable of industry best practice as it relates to scenic construction.
- Great interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledgeable of industry standard rigging as it pertains to theatre.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform carpentry, welding and light metal fabrication duties in the preparation and construction of scenic elements. (30%)
- Assist with the installation and rigging of scenic elements and instruct student crews on the operation of scenic elements. (20%)
- Assist with the supervision of student workers; crew, apprentice, work study, overhire. (10%)
- Attend all "strike" calls. (10%)
- Perform routine and special maintenance on stage equipment, shop equipment and stage houses. (5%)
- Maintain all scenery during the run of the show (5%)
- Perform necessary duties required by outside events as assigned. (5%)
- Maintain clean and safe work environment. (10%)
- Other duties as assigned. (5%)
- Maintain safe, inclusive and professional work environment for staff, faculty, students and guests. (30%)
- Relay shop needs to Scene Shop Foreman (25%)
- Regularly check and upkeep with departmental and university communications. (20%)
- Follow tech protocol. (15%)
- Attend meetings when needed. (15%)
Working Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Physical Demands: Job requires repetitively lifting average weight objects with repetitive bending and stooping. Frequently lifts heavy objects but alternating with lighter activities. Job may require physical exertion such as long periods of standing. Job may require above-average agility and dexterity
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - SCENIC CARPENTER/WELDER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity