POSITION: Sound Designer/Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Pittsburgh Playhouse
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To take the lead responsibility for the delivery and management of all sound requirements for the Pittsburgh Playhouse productions, related projects and events; and to contribute to the creation of the highest standards in all the Playhouse operations.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least 3 years professional sound experience in sound design and/or audio engineering.
- Supervisory skills are required.
- Some mechanical skills in the use of hand and power tools.
- The ability to read and understand ground plans, sections, sound plots, and electrical schematics.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required.
- The ability to instruct on material relevant to sound is required.
- Great interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment for students and staff. Oversee students working with sound equipment. Suggest student designers based on experience and competence. (15%)
- Hang, mic and/or reinforce sound and sound equipment for all Playhouse productions, events, and related projects. Design sound and program sound consoles as needed for productions/events. (15%)
- Supervise and/or assist the mixing of live sound for all productions, projects and related events. (15%)
- Work with the technical director in order to create timelines to meet scheduled deadlines. (10%)
- Provide in-house designs as required by Production Manager. (10%)
- Attend strikes and store all sound equipment. Maintain sound equipment and storage area.(10%)
- Design and create any audio special effects needed for Playhouse productions, events, and related projects.(5%)
- Troubleshoot all sound problems. (10%)
- Attend all production, department head and any pertinent meetings relating to sound. (5%)
- Responsible for adhering to budget and reporting all expenses.(5%)
- Maintain a current knowledge of all developments of all sound technology and recommend upgrades in sound equipment to the Production Director. (30%)
- Complete any and all evaluations for sound department in a timely fashion.(30%
- Responsible for all managerial paperwork including work study and apprenticeships. (30%)
- Perform other related duties as assigned. (10%)
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Job requires repetitive lifting of light weight objects with frequent bending and stooping, or repetitively lift average weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities. Occasionally lifts heavy objects (over 50 lbs.); Frequently work at a fast pace with unscheduled interruptions; Mobility within the office. Ability to walk, sit, stand and climb stairs. Ability to use hands and fingers to handle office equipment, records, and files. Occasionally required to reach with arms and hands, and to stoop, kneel or crouch. Vision abilities required by the job include the ability to read and discern written errors on paper and electronic documents. Ability to talk and hear. Ability to lift up to 15 lbs.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - SOUND DESIGNER/ENGINEER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.