DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
- Responsible for the daily operation, preventative maintenance, predicative maintenance, reactive maintenance, and repairs to a multiple building, higher education complex’s HVAC/R, mechanical systems, plumbing, electrical, roofs, windows, and all other building systems and components.
- Recognize, respond, and remediate quickly building conditions that are out of the ordinary. This position is the “first responder” to most calls for building service, as you work independently during your work shift.
- The completion of a college or vocational educational program (Trade School, or Community College) or an approved apprentice program, or an equivalent combination of training and experience as a Stationary/Building Engineer in same environment.
- Plus, a minimum of five years’ experience in a large educational building maintenance or large commercial environment, with emphasis in HVAC/R and comprehensive general building maintenance and operations.
- An understanding of computerized HVAC/R building temperature control systems (Trane Tracer system preferable).
- Possess a City of Pittsburgh - Stationary Engineers License and may be required to hold additional licenses issued by state or municipality as necessary.
- Will need to have the ability: to walk to and from jobs, move and work in confined spaces, crouch, kneel, climb up and down ladders, work from ladders and scaffolding, work on flat roof tops, work around the inside of open windows, operate and work from an aerial high lift, and use all University power tools.
- May be exposed to air contaminants (dust, smoke), dirt, electrical hazards, temperature extremes, noise, toxic materials, and vibrations.
- Lift up to 50#s, occasionally work outside during inclement weather (snow, rain, wind, hot & cold), ability to pass a general physical exam, and pass a physical clearance to wear Personal Protective Equipments when needed.
- Must be able to work mandatory overtime when needed (primarily to fill a shift vacancy or other urgent situations).
- Must be personal computer literate, competent using Outlook/e-mail, and MS Word.
- Have an understanding of lock out - tag out procedures; blood borne pathogens; MSDS; life safety; fire detection; fire suppression; security systems; and understand the general concepts of green building/sustainability principles.
- Must maintain the motivation to provide excellent customer service.
- NOTE: The work schedule for this position is yet to be determined.
- Operate, maintain, repair, and recalibrate all Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment. Including: chillers, air conditioners, air handlers, boilers, heaters, pumps, valves, VAV boxes, lines and duct work, and all auxiliary devises used in the distribution and control of cool or warm air, steam and heated water to maintain proper operation, ensure occupant comfort, and energy efficiency.
- Operate, maintain, repair water filters, water softeners, piping, and pumps used in conjunction with water distribution, including all sinks, toilet bowls, supply lines, sanitary sewer systems, including sump pumps, basins, water closets, urinals, drains, water lines, and piping.
- Inspection, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of the building’s: windows, doors, roofs, mechanical equipment, outdoor furniture, emergency power generators, electrical problems, replace light bulbs/tubes kitchen equipment, locking systems, mechanical systems and control components, and fountain.
- Assist other trades and Departments as required; and will be a peripheral part of general building security, and communal safety teams.
- Maintain an operator’s logbook recording operation and maintenance actions taken during the shift; records data, such as: temperature of equipment, hours of operation, fuel consumed, temperature, pressure, water levels; and analysis of flue gases.
- Obtain and evaluate information from all the relevant sources in determining the cause and solution to problems with little or no supervision with skill to monitor the progress of your own work load. May require analyzing reports, blueprints, maps and drawings, and the essential data necessary.
- Assist with designing, developing, estimating resources, budgeting, and planning needed for projects, and insuring completion before deadline.
- Ability to think innovatively, rationally, ability to communicate that rational, makes decisions in times of crisis, and respond to all University emergencies.
- Self document through a computerized work order system (CORRIGO) work assigned by others or self-assigned through personal observation and a proactive response.
- Any available time, not specifically assigned towards a work project, shall be directed towards cleaning and maintaining the shop offices, work, storage areas, and tools; and organizing work and storage areas.
- Frequent communications with the Director of Operations to provide up to date information about work projects.
- Perform other duties as required by the Director of Operations.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - STATIONARY ENGINEER - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.