POSITION: Wardrobe Supervisor
REPORTS TO: Costume Studio Manager
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To support the Costume Studio Manager in all aspects of the maintaining of costumes and inventory and supervising the costume related care requirements of all Pittsburgh Playhouse productions, related projects, and events; and to contribute to the creation of the highest standards in all the Playhouse operations. Duties include, training and supervising student and professional costume and wardrobe crews, supervising costume repairs and insuring that all costumes and wardrobe are laundered and prepared productions, events, and related projects. Supervising the stocking/re-stocking of costumes and wardrobe as well as maintaining the day to day rental and borrowing needs of the Pittsburgh Playhouse costume inventory.
- Two years' experience relevant experience. Theatrical/film costume or wardrobe experience preferred but not required.
- Basic machine and hand sewing are required. Basic repair and maintenance techniques.
- Knowledgeable of industry best practice as it relates to garment laundry, care, and prep.
- Great interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate industrial irons, steamers and pressing equipment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: .
- Organize, train, and supervise student wardrobe crews on all Playhouse productions, events, and related projects. Ensure continued quality control and continuity of all costume designs, related garments, and costume related items as they appear on stage. Responsible for ensuring all duties of Dressers and Laundry Crew are completed in an appropriate manner and in time for the performers to use the costumes. (20%)
- Maintain database of costumes inventory. Enter closed show costumes into database and ensure proper storage of all garments. (10%)
- Maintain storage areas in an orderly and safe manner. (15%)
- Supervises and advises student workers with costume lending for classroom scene work and student productions. 2-6 students. (10%)
- Create and supervise execution of a proper cleaning schedule for all garments, ensuring that laundryand dry cleaning are done on a regular basis between performances. Coordinate the regular changing of dress shields, the application of garment freshening sprays and providing clean undergarments to the performers. Ensure that all costumes are properly pressed or steamed prior to each performance. Ensure garments are thoroughly cleaned before returning to inventory. (10%)
- Supervises students and advises on methodologies for repairs to garments with clear and specific instructions. Ensure the proper maintenance of all costumes, shoes, undergarments, hats, and costume related personal props. (10%)
- Assist outside organizations or groups wishing to borrow or rent costumes. (5%)
- Ensure the proper labeling, hanging, storage and preset of all costume pieces. (5%)
- Assign show tracks to dressers and crew in conjunction with stage management. (5%)
- With consultation from other departments, supervise all aspects of closing strike. Departmental needs may vary from show to show. In the case of rented costumes, coordinate restoring costumes to original condition. Providing a complete and accurate inventory that ensures all pieces are returned. This can involve up to 35 students at one time. (5%)
- Assist in costume studio as needed. (5%)
- Attend technical rehearsals as needed. (30%)
- Informs Costume Shop Manager of needed supplies and equipment maintenance and repair in a timely manner. (20%
- Attend fittings when needed. (15%)
- Follow tech protocol. (15%)
- Attend production meetings if needed. (10%)
- Performs other duties as assigned by Costume Studio Manager. (10%)
Working Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Physical Demands: Job requires repetitive lifting of light weight objects with frequent bending and stooping, or repetitively lift average weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities. Occasionally lifts heavy objects (over 50 lbs).
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - WARDROBE SUPERVISOR - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.