Skip to main content

Point Park offers many Federal Work Study (FWS) jobs that provide work experience to full-time students. Under the program, the government provides compensation for students who work within the University. According to Federal Work Study Program guidelines, in order to be considered for Work Study employment, a student must:

1. Demonstrate a financial need.
2. Be enrolled for at least 12 credits (full-time) and maintain good academic standing.
3. Complete a FAFSA form each year to maintain eligibility.

If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, you will see Federal Work Study on your financial aid award.  You can verify this by following these steps:

  1. Log into PointWeb
  2. Click Students
  3. Click Financial Aid
  4. Click Financial Aid Awards
  5. Be sure the correct award year is populated.  Look to see if Federal Work Study is indicated.

If you do not see Federal Work Study on your financial award package and you want to determine if you can become eligible, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (412) 392-3930 (phone); (email); or Thayer Hall, 1st floor (office).


How to obtain a Federal Work-Study position

New FWS Employees:

Any interested students who will be new to Point Park University's Federal Work Study Program must take a tutorial on Schoology in order to learn about the program, the application process, obtain the tax forms and view the job directory. The tutorial will be available on Schoology for those students who are eligible for the Federal Work Study Program beginning the week prior to the start of classes each semester. Positions are limited and are not guaranteed.

There will also be workshops scheduled during the first week of classes. Students can check eligibility, take the tutorial, pick up forms or submit new hire or rehire paperwork.

If you are hired by a University department, you must show proof of employment authorization and identity before you begin to work. You should bring original forms of identification with you so as not to delay starting to work.

Returning FWS Employees:

A new application, permit form, and hiring addendum must be completed each academic year whether a student is new or returning in order to update the student's information, verify eligibility, and process for payroll. If a student transfers to a new department during the academic year, an application must be completed and employment must be approved prior to starting employment.

Federal Work-Study is not guaranteed employment and jobs are limited. If you are not eligible or if work-study employment does not meet your needs or schedule, another option is to contact the Career Development office for information on off-campus employment.

Examples of Typical Federal Work Study Jobs:

  • Clerical Assistant positions in various departments
  • Exercise Floor Attendant in the Student Center
  • Scene Shop Assistant, Costume Shop Assistant, Electrical Assistant, Usher, and Box Office Assistant at the Pittsburgh Playhouse
  • Tour guide in the Admissions Office
  • Library Assistant
  • Off campus positions at local non-profit organizations - list is provided

If you want to apply for a Federal Work job, or have any other questions related to the Federal Work Study program, please see Ashley Bruder, HR Coordinator, Human Resources office (705 Frontier Hall). Office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Contact Ashley at (412) 392-4782 or

Please Note:  Ashley and the Human Resources staff can confirm that you have Federal Work Study on your financial aid package; however, we CANNOT tell you why it is NOT on your package or get it added to your package.  If you want to check your eligibility for Federal Work Study, you will need to contact the Office of Financial Aid and they can assist you.