#PointParkWorks: SAEM Student Lands Marketing and Community Relations Co-op With Valero Texas Open Student Profile
Meet Sarah Balkey
- Job Title & Employer
- Marketing and Community Relations Co-op, Valero Texas Open
- Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management
- April 2020
- College Activities
- Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management Club (served as vice president junior year)
- Wexford, Pa.
- High School
- North Allegheny High School
- Now Living In
- San Antonio, Texas
- Dream Job
- While I enjoy several different aspects of the entertainment/events field, one of my dream jobs would be working at an arena handling the VIP & Special Events that come through the arena (mainly concerts)
"Sarah was clearly prepared for the video interview that we organized. She was relatable, friendly and clear when she spoke about her skills. Once Sarah had accepted the position, she asked all the appropriate questions and kept us in the loop with her school requirements and relocation to San Antonio. Point Park University has prepared Sarah well for the interview process, which ultimately landed her this co-op position."
"The professors within my major have been amazing with finding me opportunities and even helping to make sure my resume/cover letters were always on point when applying to new jobs. They have taught me a great amount about the sports and entertainment industry, which has allowed me to take that knowledge into the real world."
How did you land a co-op position with Valero Texas Open in San Antonio?
I found this position on Teamwork Online, applied, and was contacted via email for an interview. Everything worked out in my favor and I was offered the position.
Tell us about the work you are doing for this co-op.
I am taking on the charity side of the marketing and community relations department. I will be in charge of helping with all of the details for the fundraising program “Champions fore Charity” and the Eighth Annual Ladies Night, which is featuring Landyn Hutchinson, a lifestyle and fashion entrepreneur from Nashville.
I will also be making digital invitations for events/socials and running the Champions fore Charity social media pages.
What factors made you choose Point Park University?
I chose Point Park because it’s in the city and I always knew I wanted to attend a school that had a specific major related to sports and entertainment.
Please list the career-related experiences you’ve had as a Point Park student.
- Promotions assistant, WISH 99.7
- VIP ambassador, (mostly at PPG Paints Arena), Live Nation/AEG/CID Entertainment
- Destination services intern, VisitPITTSBURGH
- Box office representative, guest services associate, streat team member, and marketing and promotions intern, Stage AE
- Student intern, POLLSTAR
- Production runner, Thrival Innovation
- Marketing intern, Creative Direction Artist Management
How have our faculty impacted you?
The professors within my major have been amazing with finding me opportunities and even helping to make sure my resume/cover letters were always on point when applying to new jobs. They have taught me a great amount about the sports and entertainment industry, which has allowed me to take that knowledge into the real world.
What are your career goals?
I hope to always work in a job that I love and truly enjoy going to every day. I really enjoy VIP, special events and live events. I want to work in a position where I am able to help people and make them happy. I know I will move away from Pittsburgh one day, so I am excited to see where I end up!