Candid Career Conversations Foster Learning Amid Pandemic Friday, February 19, 2021
Although the pandemic has altered traditional networking and career-related events, Point Park University's Professional Career-Readiness Center is engaging with students through Candid Career Conversations, a monthly webinar series hosted on Zoom where guest speakers and students dive into key career topics together. The series continues with "Test Your Luck! Resume Writing and Cover Letters," on Tuesday, March 16, at 5 p.m. with Point Park career counselors Monica Ritter, Laura Dulaney and Elsie Boucek. Registration opens next week on Handshake.
"We plan to continue the webinars through May 2021, possibly through the summer, and definitely pick them back up in the fall," said Kenneth Anderson, coordinator of student engagement and employer recruitment. "Students can stay up to date by following us on Instagram and look out for emails and invites from our office through Handshake. We post events on Handshake, where students can find information about the month's topic and register."
Previous topics and guest speakers have included:
- How to navigate your career during COVID-19, Sabrina Clay, PA CareerLink
- Experiential learning and job search strategies, Dawnese Booker, program manager of experiential learning, Point Park
- Tips for networking and career fair success, Charisse Alexander, talent acquisition coordinator, WESCO Distribution
- Interview essentials, Monica Ritter, career counselor, Point Park
- Diversity, equity and inclusion in the multicultural workplace, Britney Brinkman, Ph.D., psychology professor and director of the Psy.D. program, Point Park; Jessica Boston, director of career-readiness, Point Park
- Goal setting and career exploration, Elsie Boucek, career counselor, Point Park
With 90% of Point Park graduates employed or enrolled in a program of continued education, the Professional Career-Readiness Center is dedicated to student success. Its services include help with:
- Jobs and internships
- Choosing a major
- Career fairs and workshops
- Jobs with the U.S. government
- Resources and handouts