Major in Animation and Visual Effects
Students in the animation and visual effects program combine artistic vision and technical skills to transform their wildest imaginations into moving images on the screen. Courses of study include 2-D, 3-D and stop-motion animation, and visual effects for movies and motion graphics. With state-of-the-art facilities and talented faculty, students gain the skills to thrive in their chosen field.
Students select a concentration as a course of study:
Animation concentration: Students develop skills for storyboarding, character development, modeling, compositing and game design.
Visual effects concentration: Using cutting-edge technology, students create effects for movies and online and broadcast content.
B.F.A. in Animation and Visual Effects
- Students pursuing a B.F.A. take courses in the major all four years, culminating in a senior thesis project.
- Upon completion of the program, graduates possess the necessary balance of narrative and technical skills and asthetic development to find their path in the expanding animation and visual effects industry.
- B.F.A. students are required to complete 126 credits.
B.A. in Animation and Visual Effects
- B.A. students have the flexibility to double major, pursue study abroad opportunities or complete the degree in less than four years, while still gaining experience in the field.
- Fewer required courses in the major allows students to take more general electives so that they can build their own interdisciplinary course of study.
- B.A. students are required to complete 120 credits.
Animation and Visual Effects Courses
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. Some of the courses in the program include:
- Classical Animation
- Designing for Commercial Media Platforms
- Illustrating for Electronic Media
- Intermediate and Advanced Animation
- Intermediate and Advanced Visual Effects
- Intro to Digital Tools and Techniques
- Sound for Digital
- Stop Motion Workshop
- Theory of Game Design
- Web Media Development
For a comprehensive list of program requirements and course descriptions, see the program guide links at the top of the page and the cinema arts course descriptions.