Forensic science majors process mock crime scenes designed by technical theatre students.
Be a Forensic Science Major at Pittsburgh's Only Downtown University
Faculty and Student Profiles
CSI expert Ed Strimlan, M.D., is an assistant professor and coordinator of the forensic science program.
Meet forensic science major Matthew Coleman, intern for Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Our forensic science degree program will prepare you for work in most sections of the forensic laboratory. You'll be immersed in the world of drugs, arson, toxicology, death investigations and DNA evidence. Course work is not for the faint of heart and includes an exploration of accidental deaths and suicide, crime scene photography, forensic autopsy photography, micro and specialty photography, National Database Systems relating to mortality and morbidity, and collecting trace evidence like hair, fiber, glass and paint.
In the forensic science major, you'll have the opportunity to participate in real-world internships as well — for example, the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office is just a short walk away. If you like applying chemistry, physics, biology and math to problems related to legal situations, then our forensic science degree program may be right for you.
Course Offerings for Forensic Science Majors
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in your major. Some of the courses in the forensic science degree program include:
- Development of the Death Investigation System
- Forensic Photography
- Accident/Suicide Death Investigation
- Data Mining and Spatial Forensic Epidemiology
- Forensic Real Crime Scene Investigation/Crime House
Forensic science majors have the unique opportunity to investigate mock crime scenes in Point Park's crime scene investigation house — located right on campus.
Examples of nearby places where students have interned:
- Allegheny County Department of Laboratories
- Allegheny County Office of the Medical Examiner
Forensic Science Careers
With a forensic science degree, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities in areas such as:
- Pathology/Medical Examination
- Physical/Forensic Anthropology
In the News
- "Forensics program attracting crime-solvers at Point Park in Pittsburgh," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 29, 2012.
- CSI: Pittsburgh - Go beyond the yellow tape at Point Park University's crime scene house," Pittsburgh Magazine, Feb. 2012 issue.
The pictures below are from a mock crime scene investigation led by Professor Ed Strimlan in Pittsburgh's Schenley Park.