Annual Operating Plan Objectives 2019-2020
Elevate the academic profile of the University
2019-2020 University Academic Profile Objectives:
- Maintain university/departmental accreditation.
- Support the implementation and embed the advising component of Jenzabar EXI to improve advising and pathways.
- Increase support for academically risky populations.
- Leverage retention predictive analytics to proactively advance student success.
- Ascertain and increase numbers of faculty using Open Education Resources to assist in providing affordable
education to students.
- Complete IACBE comprehensive accreditation application.
- Define tracks in undergrad IT degree and develop an MS in IT.
- Conduct a feasibility study to determine if the Theatre Programs would benefit from Accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Theater (NAST).
Expand high quality online and hybrid programs to provide a Point Park education to populations underserved by the University's on-ground program
2019-2020 Online and Hybrid Objectives:
- COVID OBJECTIVE: Integrate the Library into essential resources group for Summer Sessions.
- Develop degree completion program: "Bachelor of Science in Business."
Create opportunities for innovative, integrated learning.
2019-2020 Innovative, Integrated Learning Objectives:
- Assure that faculty are aware and capable of embodying inclusive excellence in their teaching practices by providing opportunities for professional development.
- COVID OBJECTIVE: Increase Library virtual presence in Schoology during the move to online learning by promoting free resources.
- Complete holistic curriculum revision in the Department of Dance to align with University "Workplace Readiness" initiatives.
- Pursue Academic Excellence through Ph.D., Freshman Seminar, Minors, and Service Learning Pathways.
Elevate the regional and national profile of faculty.
2019-2020 Faculty Profile Objectives:
- Increase appreciation for faculty research, scholarship, and creative work internally and externally through presentations, reports, and concerted educational programs geared toward targeted audiences.
- Update SPOL Credentialing module with accurate evidence for all active faculty by end of Academic Year 19/20.
Promote Inclusive Excellence as a cultural and academic value.
2019-2020 Inclusive Excellence Objectives:
- The Center for Media Innovation will increase media opportunities for disadvantaged groups by hosting workshops and training sessions for people traditionally excluded because of disability or discrimination.
- Assess the inclusiveness of all program learning outcomes in order to more effectively advocate and promote courses, programs, and initiatives related to diversity, inclusion, and culturally relevant pedagogy and practices.
Implement and practice the tenants of shared governance across University operations.
2019-2020 Shared Governance Objectives:
- Complete the approval process of the University mission and report back to all stakeholders as a demonstration of shared governance in action.
- Develop and implement routine, standard report-back to Faculty Assembly when curriculum recommendations have been approved or denied.
Connect every student with at least one meaningful experiential learning opportunity each year.
2019-2020 Experiential Learning Opportunities Objectives:
- Initiate development of the CEM Strategic Plan.
- 75% of co-curricular leadership experiences will incorporate intentional reflection opportunities in the 19-20 academic year.
Develop a sense of community and pride throughout the University.
2019-2020 University Community and Pride Objectives:
- Create four new opportunities for building community within the online student population by the end of the planning year.
- Implement at least 6 campus-wide initiatives that foster University pride in the 19-20 academic year.
Promote the connection between the liberal arts foundation and preparation for careers now and
throughout the lives of Point Park students.
2019-2020 Liberal Arts Foundations and Career Prep Connection Objectives:
- Incorporate teamwork and leadership as defined by the National Association of Colleges and Employers career-based competencies into initiatives in the 19-20 academic year.
Foster a culture of respect, civility, and inclusivity in the Point Park community for all students,
staff, faculty, alumni, and administrators.
2019-2020 Culture of Respect, Civility, Inclusivity Objectives:
- Ensure students, faculty, and staff are assigned effective training on the topic of implicit bias.
Assure the highest quality of life on campus.
2019-2020 Quality of Campus Life Objectives:
- To ensure students and full-time faculty and staff are assigned mandatory online training on Title IX issues by the end of Fall 2019. The number of students and full times employees who complete the training will be tracked through the SafeColleges software through Spring of 2020.
- Continue and expand basic needs and at-risk student support on campus including work with food, clothing, housing, textbooks, and foster care youth.
Develop and implement an ongoing, rolling three-year strategic enrollment plan that ties directly
to a rolling three-year financial plan that clearly demonstrates the operational vitality of the
University and generates enough resources to reinvest in the University according to the Strategic Plan.
2019-2020 Strategic Enrollment Plan Objectives:
- The Center for Media Innovation will increase media literacy among young people while spotlighting media programs for the increased recruitment of high school and transfer students.
- Integrate new OPM (online program management) partner by the end of the planning year.
- Manage and expand Strategic Enrollment Revenue Plan (SERP).
- The open house will now have three dates in the fall for students September (new this year), October & November. Admitted Students Day will now have three dates to select from February, March & April. We will strive to increase the number of on-campus event attendees by 2%.
- Utilize virtual methods of enticing, informing, and welcoming potential students.
- Implement a communication strategy of automated, repeated contact with prospective students in the inquiry stage of the funnel, encouraging them to apply for their program of choice.
- Review application/admission/matriculation of WholeRen applicants subsequent to enrollment goals.
- Monitor constantly evolving social media channels and increase engagement by 5 percent across all channels. Primary focus on Instagram (10% increase).
- Institute a pre-screening process for Musical Theatre and Acting auditions.
- We have created a new communication flow to families with Mark Meighen's area called "Financial Aid Myths."
Leverage the University's brand to promote being on the cutting edge of innovation in
communications, media, technology, business, and the arts, inside and outside of the classroom
2019-2020 University Innovation Brand Objectives:
- We will leverage earned media to showcase how Point Park is on the cutting-edge of training students and building partnerships through the Pittsburgh Playhouse, Center for Media Innovation, Professional Career-Readiness Center, the Rowland School of Business, and more.
Adopt models of resource development and constituent engagement that align and support the
University's strategic initiatives
2019-2020 Resource Development and Constituent Engagement Objectives:
- Create an organizational structure at the Playhouse that supports sustainability.
- Develop Strategic Business Plan for the Pittsburgh Playhouse.
- Diversify the types and sources of foundation, corporate, and government funding opportunities that the University pursues and purposefully reach out to faculty, staff, and administrators in departments that have not sought out external foundation, corporate, and government funding in the last five years.
- Benchmark best practices in university grant management and establish processes in conjunction with involved offices/departments including the business office, human resources, development resources, and academic affairs. Train internal programmatic grant managers on the new system.
- Increase the total number of donations toward both the annual fund and other individual giving opportunities while also increasing the total number of alumni and students that participate in giving.
- Complete post database migration into Jenzabar which includes cleanup, training, and onboarding while also establishing a stable set of processes and procedures for accurate and timely gift and data entry.
Grow the Board Designated Reserve Fund by 35 percent.
Implement integrated strategies and systems designed to increase workplace productivity by
developing improved processes for attracting, developing, retaining, and utilizing people with the
required skills and aptitude to meet the University's current and future needs.
2019-2020 Workplace Productivity Objectives:
- Development, not implementation, of the new intranet platform.
- Purposefully plan for the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to achieve the University's Strategic plan through competency development and internal skill enhancement focused on building abilities and leadership aptitude for current employees.
- Onboard new employees to ensure that they quickly assimilate to Point Park's processes in order to reduce the time necessary to reach full effectiveness.
- Create an employment brand that showcases the University's strengths and attracts top candidates for open positions through competency-based advertising and interviewing.
- Cultivate an environment of awareness, mutual respect, and understanding in a workplace that is reflective of our diverse society.
Build the technological infrastructure to enhance our instructional and administrative needs.
2019-2020 Technological Infrastructure Objectives:
- Create documented SOC Report contracting standards and review procedures.
- Complete Phase 1 of the Network Infrastructure Improvement Plan.
Improve utilization of facilities and space.
2019-2020 Facilities and Space Utilization Objectives:
- Enhance the overall experience for students, faculty, and staff.
Develop a strategic planning assessment strategy to align resources with the plan.
2019-2020 Strategic Planning Assessment Strategy Objectives:
- Increase participation in the PARA process (faculty and staff) and show evidence of resource allocation linked to planning and assessment.
- Develop a strategic technology plan for key administrative and academic areas.
Optimize the efficient use of University resources across all levels of operations
Create opportunities for field studies to complement doctoral-level coursework.
2019-2020 Doctoral-level Field Objectives:
- Assure doctoral students successfully work with a community partner.
Leverage partnerships with the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, government agencies to create relevant and impactful dissertation thesis project opportunities
Utilize our facilities and programs to engage campus communities to advance our mission.
2019-2020 Strategic Enrollment Plan Objectives:
- The Center for Media Innovation will address emerging challenges in journalism through community-engaged activities to give a journalistic voice to under- and un-represented people. It will seek to retain students by engaging them in opportunities to work with local communities as they learn.
- Make the CIE (pointpark.edu) page more outward- facing//geared toward marketing//recruitment by spotlighting faculty projects and collaborations with our office.
- Continue existing programs (TEDx, Poverty Simulation, etc) and expand other community conversations on social issues through Social Impact Grants & Scholars program, Community Engagement Symposium, and Institute and Courageous Conversations speaker series.
- Utilize our facilities to engage campus communities.
Emphasize the University's mission and focus on community engagement by attaining the "elective" Carnegie Classification for Community Engagement.
2019-2020 Carnegie Classification for Community Engagement Objectives:
- Provide report out of 2019 findings and work to implement/improve institutional support and structure for Carnegie Classification requirements.
Establish influential and impactful constituent outreach and engagement
2019-2020 Constituent Outreach and Engagment Objectives:
Expand programming to broaden and diversify the Playhouse audiences.
Continue existing work in the community and expand further partnerships and outreach efforts including Wood Street Communications nonprofit services, support and structure for student volunteerism, alumni nonprofit connections, and partnerships with regional organizations.
Strategic engagement with our alumni
2019-2020 Alumni Engagement Objectives:
Develop focused and meaningful programming that reinforces University messaging and initiatives.
Create opportunities for alumni to engage with students that directly impact and/or feed into retention efforts university-wide.
External Affairs will oversee the process of transitioning The Point alumni magazine from a print product into a fully digital enterprise that engages a large audience of Point Park alums.