Pictured above: Pioneer Records Star Dejah Monea
Gain Hands-On Experience in the Recording Business
Pioneer Records is a student-led record label in the Rowland School of Business at Point Park University. Founded in 2014 by students in the Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management degree program, Pioneer Records is a learning laboratory that provides undergraduate and graduate students with real-world music industry experiences and opportunities to work directly with recording artists, studio engineers, venue managers and other industry professionals.
Through their involvement, students gain direct work experiences in:
- A&R (artists and repertoire)
- Public relations
This innovative and engaging academic approach challenges students to grow intellectually and professionally, while providing strong foundational knowledge about the entertainment business.
Each fall, students select an artist to be the next “Pioneer Star.” The label partners with Red Caiman Media Studios, an advanced commercial recording facility located in downtown Pittsburgh, to produce a professional EP featured at an album release party at Stage AE.
"The impetus behind Pioneer Records came out of student feedback indicating a strong interest in understanding the business model of a creating a successful record," said Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business.
"We want students to come away from the Pioneer Records program with a thorough understanding of what it takes to bring a successful record to the consumer, and at the same time, as educators, we want our students to have an opportunity to see what a career in the recording business is really like," Tanzilli said.
Students have the opportunity to help produce music videos for our Pioneer Stars. Below is a music video created for 2021-22 Pioneer Star Tupelo.
About Red Caiman Media
Red Caiman Media's mission is to provide a creative and inspiring environment in which artists can develop and produce great music.
Location of Red Caiman Media
The studio offers recording, mixing, mastering, graphic and web design and CD duplication/manufacturing services for its clients along with state-of-the-art equipment and highly experienced engineers, producers and musicians.
"Making a successful record takes more than just being a talented musician. Multi-platinum recording artists are the product of a lot of hard work, long hours and dedication, much of which happens after the song is actually recorded," explained Naus.
The studio is owned by Jesse Naus, a professional recording engineer/producer and instructor in Point Park's SAEM department.
Paid Apprenticeship Opportunities
Pioneer Records offers the following four apprenticeship opportunities:
- Operations director
- Multimedia director
- Marketing/publicist/promotions manager
- Booking/sales manager
In these positions, students gain hands-on experience in the areas of booking talent, managing studio logistics and photo shoots, creating press kits and CD covers, coordinating media requests, social media promotion and more.
For more information about apprenticeship opportunities with Pioneer Records, contact Ed Traversari at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-392-4742.
Pioneer Records News & Features
- "With Pioneer Records Release Show, Students Acquire Authentic Industry Experience," Point Park University website, May 2, 2022.
- "Photos: Pioneer Records Hosts EP Release Show at Stage AE, Announces 2021-22 Stars," Point Park University website, Nov. 18, 2021.
- "Pioneer Records Announces 2020-21 Pioneer Star: Pablito Uri," Point Park University website, Oct. 30, 2020.
- "Point Park student Dejah Monea's journey from CAPA to debut album release," Pittsburgh City Paper, June 17, 2020.
- "Pioneer Records Launches Third Season of On-Campus Radio Show," Point Park University website, Feb. 5, 2020.
- "Point Park University record label names Pioneer Stars," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dec. 16, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records Selects Rock Guitarist and R&B Singer as its Newest Stars," Point Park University website, Nov. 26, 2019.
- "Introducing Pittsburgh Record Label Roundup: The diverse and plentiful selection of the city's record labels," Pittsburgh City Paper, Nov. 13, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records Artist, Musical Theatre Alumnus Places Second in International Songwriting Competition," June 19, 2019.
- "Students Help Launch Point Park-Themed Restaurant Near Campus," Point Park University website, May 7, 2019.
- "Wolfie's is about to be a hot spot for live music Downtown," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 29, 2019.
- "CCM New Artist Spotlight — ALLISSA," CCM Magazine, April 22, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records EP Release Party Features Artists ALLISSA and SouthWest DFRNT, Premieres Behind-the-Scenes Footage of Music Video," Point Park University website, March 26, 2019.
- "Lady Gaga Bassist Jonny Goood Performs Concert at Stage AE Led by SAEM Class and Pioneer Records," Point Park University website, Nov. 30, 2018.
- "Pioneer Records Names Allissa Logsdon as its Newest Recording Artist," Point Park University website, Oct. 23, 2018.
- "Point Park University Student Performs Single Off EP," KDKA-TV, April 19, 2018.
- "Pioneer Records Selects its Latest Recording Artist," Point Park University website, Nov. 29, 2017.
- "Point Park University Making Music With Pioneer Records Label," KDKA-TV, April 3, 2017.
- "Point Park U's 'Chase & The Barons' Perform An Original Son," KDKA-TV, April 3, 2017.
- "Title IX, Pioneer Records collaborate for concert event," The Globe, April 12, 2016.
- "Pioneer Records to debut album for latest star," The Globe, March 29, 2016.
- "Point Park's Pioneer Records Gives Unique Opportunity to Students and Artists," KDKA-TV, Feb. 15, 2016.
- "John Rushlander Performs Live on Pittsburgh Today Live," KDKA-TV, Feb. 15, 2016.
- "Late-blooming Point Park student develops noteworthy skills as a musician," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 22, 2016.
- "Point Park University Starts Record Label," and "Hannah Jenkins Performs on PTL," KDKA-TV, April 14, 2015.
- "Point Park Students Mix Business & Music Through New Record Label," NakYouOut.com, March 31, 2015.
- "Point Park's new record label signs its first artist, singer-songwriter Hannah Jenkins," Pittsburgh City Paper, March 4, 2015.
- Feature in The Point: "Point Park Launches a New Artist and New Label, Pioneer Records," Winter 2015 issue.
- "Point Park's Record Label Gets Students in the Studio," Pittsburgh Magazine, Feb. 19, 2015.
- "Point Park students developing record label," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 1, 2015 and Associated Press, Feb. 7, 2015.
- "Point Park University's Pioneer Records Primes Students for Careers in Music," WHIRL magazine, Jan. 23, 2015.
- "Classmates to help Point Park student, Murrysville native launch music career," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 15, 2015.
For more information about Pioneer Records, visit thepioneerrecords.org or contact SAEM Professor Ed Traversari, MBA, at email@example.com.