Pictured above: Pioneer Records 2019-20 Stars Elias Khouri and Dejah Monea
Gain Hands-On Experience in the Recording Business
Pablito Uri, 2020-21 Pioneer Star
Unique among colleges and universities in the Pittsburgh region, Pioneer Records is a Point Park University-operated record label managed by the sports, arts and entertainment management department, and housed at Red Caiman Media, a commercial recording studio in Pittsburgh's Uptown section.Our students have a classroom space at Red Caiman Media, along with access to the studio's recording and production rooms, allowing them to acquire first-hand experience on the various aspects of a record label.
Over the course of a semester, students working with Pioneer Records learn how to:
- Sign an artist or band to a contract
- Assist in the development of a CD
- Secure the necessary intellectual property protection
- Develop a marketing campaign to promote the artist or band
- Execute a CD release/mp3 launch party
- Deliver a three-song EP to the artist or group and more!
"The impetus behind Pioneer Records came out of student feedback indicating a strong interest in understanding the business model of a creating a successful record," said Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business.
"We want students to come away from the Pioneer Records program with a thorough understanding of what it takes to bring a successful record to the consumer, and at the same time, as educators, we want our students to have an opportunity to see what a career in the recording business is really like," Tanzilli added.
About Red Caiman Media
Red Caiman Media's mission is to provide a creative and inspiring environment in which artists can develop and produce great music. The studio offers recording, mixing, mastering, graphic and web design and CD duplication/manufacturing services for its clients along with state-of-the-art equipment and highly experienced engineers, producers and musicians.
"Making a successful record takes more than just being a talented musician. Multi-platinum recording artists are the product of a lot of hard work, long hours and dedication, much of which happens after the song is actually recorded," explained Naus.
The studio is owned by Jesse Naus, a professional recording engineer/producer and instructor in Point Park's SAEM department.
Location of Red Caiman Media
Paid Apprenticeship Opportunities
Pioneer Records offers the following four apprenticeship opportunities:
- Operations director
- Multimedia director
- Marketing/publicist/promotions manager
- Booking/sales manager
In these positions, students gain hands-on experience in the areas of booking talent, managing studio logistics and photo shoots, creating press kits and CD covers, coordinating media requests, social media promotion and more.
- "Pioneer Records Announces 2020-21 Pioneer Star: Pablito Uri," Point Park University website, Oct. 30, 2020.
- "Point Park student Dejah Monea's journey from CAPA to debut album release," Pittsburgh City Paper, June 17, 2020.
- "Pioneer Records Launches Third Season of On-Campus Radio Show," Point Park University website, Feb. 5, 2020.
- "Point Park University record label names Pioneer Stars," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dec. 16, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records Selects Rock Guitarist and R&B Singer as its Newest Stars," Point Park University website, Nov. 26, 2019.
- "Introducing Pittsburgh Record Label Roundup: The diverse and plentiful selection of the city's record labels," Pittsburgh City Paper, Nov. 13, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records Artist, Musical Theatre Alumnus Places Second in International Songwriting Competition," June 19, 2019.
- "Students Help Launch Point Park-Themed Restaurant Near Campus," Point Park University website, May 7, 2019.
- "Wolfie's is about to be a hot spot for live music Downtown," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 29, 2019.
- "CCM New Artist Spotlight — ALLISSA," CCM Magazine, April 22, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records EP Release Party Features Artists ALLISSA and SouthWest DFRNT, Premieres Behind-the-Scenes Footage of Music Video," Point Park University website, March 26, 2019.
- "Lady Gaga Bassist Jonny Goood Performs Concert at Stage AE Led by SAEM Class and Pioneer Records," Point Park University website, Nov. 30, 2018.
- "Pioneer Records Names Allissa Logsdon as its Newest Recording Artist," Point Park University website, Oct. 23, 2018.
- "Point Park University Student Performs Single Off EP," KDKA-TV, April 19, 2018.
- "Pioneer Records Selects its Latest Recording Artist," Point Park University website, Nov. 29, 2017.
- "Point Park University Making Music With Pioneer Records Label," KDKA-TV, April 3, 2017.
- "Point Park U's 'Chase & The Barons' Perform An Original Son," KDKA-TV, April 3, 2017.
- "Title IX, Pioneer Records collaborate for concert event," The Globe, April 12, 2016.
- "Pioneer Records to debut album for latest star," The Globe, March 29, 2016.
- "Point Park's Pioneer Records Gives Unique Opportunity to Students and Artists," KDKA-TV, Feb. 15, 2016.
- "John Rushlander Performs Live on Pittsburgh Today Live," KDKA-TV, Feb. 15, 2016.
- "Late-blooming Point Park student develops noteworthy skills as a musician," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 22, 2016.
- "Point Park University Starts Record Label," and "Hannah Jenkins Performs on PTL," KDKA-TV, April 14, 2015.
- "Point Park Students Mix Business & Music Through New Record Label," NakYouOut.com, March 31, 2015.
- "Point Park's new record label signs its first artist, singer-songwriter Hannah Jenkins," Pittsburgh City Paper, March 4, 2015.
- Feature in The Point: "Point Park Launches a New Artist and New Label, Pioneer Records," Winter 2015 issue.
- "Point Park's Record Label Gets Students in the Studio," Pittsburgh Magazine, Feb. 19, 2015.
- "Point Park students developing record label," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 1, 2015 and Associated Press, Feb. 7, 2015.
- "Point Park University's Pioneer Records Primes Students for Careers in Music," WHIRL magazine, Jan. 23, 2015.
- "Classmates to help Point Park student, Murrysville native launch music career," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 15, 2015.