A Career Field in High Demand
Applied computer science and information technology are consistently ranked as career fields in high demand.
The latest information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates employment of software developers, quality assurance analysts and testers is projected to grow 25 percent from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations. Additionally, employment for data scientists and information security analysts is projected to grow by 36 percent and 35 percent, respectively, significantly outpacing the average for all occupations.
A Diverse Degree
Our applied computer science degree program will prepare you for an industry that changes every minute.
Focusing on entrepreneurship and technological business solutions, we will give you the tool-building skills you'll need to work for a large organization — or start your own company.
You will build skills in:
- Creativity (to go from ideas to building programs)
- Data analytics
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Programming and problem-solving
- Software development (including mobile applications)
- LLMs (Large Language Models), including ChatGPT
Gain a Unique Skill Set in Programming, Software, Big Data and Entrepreneurship
Our program also has a strong emphasis on big data, in which you will learn how to generate and interpret a wide variety of business metrics in order to provide valuable information and insight for organizational leaders to make key business decisions.
Not only will you be prepared to effectively think about problems but you will also be equipped with the knowledge and skill set to implement business solutions and commercialize them.
Point Park’s online programs are offered in a flexible format at an affordable cost. Online courses are 8 weeks long and are always offered asynchronously for your convenience.
Online students have access to the same great benefits as those on campus:
- Point Park faculty with real-world experience.
- Small online class sizes for individualized attention.
- A full spectrum of University resources.
- A student success advisor offering support from application to graduation, who will guide you to successfully complete your degree.
Cohorts begin every eight weeks. Apply now!
Our Distinctive Approach
Courses and Topics
Our business-based curriculum offers courses with a strong focus on programming and other technical skills that can immediately be used in the current job market.
You will receive a well-rounded education through our core curriculum and classes in our applied computer science major including:
- Introduction to Programming
- Advanced Programming
- Big Data Applications
- Business analytics
- Data mining
- Digital Security
- Entrepreneurship for Software Developers
- Networking and Security
- NoSQL databases
- Server Management
- Software Development for E-Commerce
Meet Our Faculty
Emphasis on Experiential Learning
In our applied computer science program, you will gain hands-on experience in our IT labs, allowing you to build your portfolio and gain a competitive edge in the field. Faculty also connect students are also exposed to a wide variety of valuable opportunities in the field.
- Internships — Our University's Downtown Pittsburgh location and industry relationship help students obtain internships in the computer science and IT fields, with many locations in walking distance of campus.
- Cooperative Education (Co-op) Program — Our co-op program offers a chance for students to complete paid, full-time jobs in their field while earning college credit.
Students in our applied computer science program have interned or completed co-ops at various organizations such as:
- RSM US LLP
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Ninja Electronics
- Concurrent Technologies Corporation
- CSG Interactive
- Mt. Washington Community Development Corporation
- The Crons Brand
- Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Steel
Our students graduate prepared to work successfully in the field. With a bachelor's degree in applied computer science, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities including:
- Computer software engineer
- Data scientist
- Information Security Analyst
- Systems programmer
- Computer systems analyst
- Database administrator
- Network administrator
- Application developer
- Interface design expert
- IT security manager
- IT project manager
- Web page designer
- IT consultant
- Website administrator