Be a Part of the Show
If you're interested in pursuing a career in the business side of music or live entertainment, Point Park University's Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management (SAEM) degree program places you at the center of the action, with countless opportunities to work behind the scenes at venues of various genres and scales, including concerts at Stage AE, PPG Paints Arena, Acrisure Stadium, PNC Park and more.
Our music business partnerships with Stage AE (AEG/Promo West) and other concert venues and promoters, such as Live Nation, Roxian Theatre, Drusky Entertainment, Opus One Productions, Acrisure Stadium, PPG Paints Arena and many others, give our SAEM students direct access to key shadowing and job opportunities in the entertainment field.
Additionally, Point Park has its own student-managed record label, Pioneer Records. Through the record label, students learn about record promotion, marketing and booking — including planning and hosting live concerts. Pioneer Records is unique among colleges and universities in the Pittsburgh region and is a cooperative partnership with Red Caiman Studios, a commercial recording studio in Pittsburgh. It hosts an annual music talent contest, Pioneer Star, through which students work with artists on projects throughout the year, culminating in a show at Stage AE.
Follow Pioneer Records:
Entertainment/Music Management Faculty, Coursework and Internships
Faculty including Ed Traversari, MBA, former Pittsburgh concert promoter (DiCesare Engler Productions and Live Nation); Melinda Colaizzi, singer/songwriter, founder of Women Who Rock and principal at Pitch Consulting; Adam Conde, manager for George Thorogood and the Destroyers; and Jesse Naus, owner of Red Caiman Studios, bring a wealth of live entertainment business experience into the classroom.
They serve as key mentors to our students, guiding them on how to contribute to growing the next generation of music and entertainment executives.
Entertainment and music management coursework in the SAEM department includes:
- Business of Live Entertainment
- Emerging Trends in the Music Industry
- Event Management
- Facility and Venue Design
- Pioneer Records
- Production Tour Management
- Talent and Booking
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
SAEM Entertainment/Music News & Features
Watch the Student-Produced Music Video for Pioneer Star Tupelo Honey
SAEM Alumni Working in Entertainment Management
Point Park has SAEM alumni working throughout Pittsburgh, as well as Nashville, Los Angeles, New York City and beyond. Some of our SAEM alumni working in entertainment and music management include:
- Julie Bowser, VIP and merchandising manager in Nashville
- Alexis Galasso, manager of streaming operations, Universal Music Group
- Max Kovalchuk, touring, artist development and assistant, Elektra Music Group
- Alison Maternowski, general manager, AEG Presents
- Jeremy Olson, assistant general manager, Stage AE
- Nicholas Turgeon, event manager, PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Meredith Savage, VIP services and hospitality specialist, Madison Square Garden
- Lauren Kachmar Shughart, ticketing and guest services manager, World Cafe Live
- Lin Sun, label operations, TikTok/Byte Dance
- Ericka Thomas, booking assistant, Opus One Productions
- Adam Valen, marketing manager, Drusky Entertainment, LLC