Sports Management Focus
The SAEM department is unique because of its walking distance to so many iconic sports franchises including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Strong NCAA organizations are located nearby as well.
However, it's not just the close proximity to sports teams that gives SAEM students an advantage — it's having Point Park alumni working for each organization. These advantages translate into networking and shadowing opportunities, industry experts in the classroom, internships, and, ultimately, jobs.
SAEM Alumni Working in Sports
Our SAEM alumni working in the sports management field include:
- Haley Adams, social media coordinator, RCX Sports
- Austin Brooks, NFL marketing agent, Neostar Football
- Chance Callahan, inside sales representative, Washington Commanders
- Morgan Day, regional merchandise manager, Momentous Sports & Entertainment
- Dana Drewniak, group events specialist, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Greg Fedor, director of membership services, Western Pennsylvania Golf Association
- Jon Hanks, inside sales representative, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Julia Hester, inside sales representative, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Justin Joyce, assistant director of ticket operations, Pitt Athletics
- Nicole Lakovic, membership services representative, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Jessica Martin, manager, ticket sales and operations, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Meghan McCabe, event producer, Kapture Vision
- Brendan McKnight, inside sales representative, Learfield – Pitt Athletics
- Dani McSweeney, marketing project lead, Dicks Sporting Goods
- Michael Mitchell, corporate sales account executive, Sacramento River Cats
- Rebekah Mohrmann, HR assistant/receptionist, Nashville Predators
- Anthony Pignetti, executive director of business development, Reading Fightin Phils
- Carlos Polanco, player development – technology assistant, Toronto Blue Jays
- Evan Schall, director of communications, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Julio Sepúlveda, coordinator of coaching & player development, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Fausto Severino, director of Latin America scouting, Washington Nationals
- Erik Stouter, account executive, Washington Wild Things
- Matt Uzar, events coordinator, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Cassandra Wangler, inside sales representative, Pittsburgh Penguins
- David Wilson, instant replay technician and game day assistant, Philadelphia Eagles
Sports-Focused Faculty, Coursework and Internships
Faculty teaching sports management-focused courses in the SAEM department include Robert Derda, M.S., former general manager of Learfield Sports; Chuck Berry, sports talent agent and Karen Hall, Ed.D., executive leadership coach. Sports talent agent Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business, is a co-founder of the SAEM program.
Sports management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Amateur Athletics
- Sports Sales
- Sports Agents
- Sports Management/Leadership
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.
Point Park Pittsburgh Penguins Sales Team
The Point Park University Pittsburgh Penguins Sales Team was recognized during a game by alumna Celina Pompeani Mathison.
Video courtesy of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Point Park Cavs Sales Team
The Point Park University CAVS Student Sales Team was honored on court before a Cleveland Cavaliers basketball game.
Video courtesy of the Cleveland Cavaliers