Sports Management Focus
The SAEM department is unique because of its walking distance to so many iconic sports franchises including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Strong NCAA organizations are located nearby as well.
However, it's not just the close proximity to sports teams that gives SAEM students an advantage — it's having Point Park alumni working for each organization. These advantages translate into networking and shadowing opportunities, industry experts in the classroom, internships, and, ultimately, jobs.
SAEM Alumni Working in Sports
Our SAEM alumni working in the sports management field include:
- Haley Adams, customer service representative, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Austin Brooks, NFL marketing agent, Neostar Football
- Chance Callahan, inside sales representative, Washington Football Team
- Morgan Day, merchandise and souvenir manager, Gastonia HoneyHunters
- Dana Drewniak, group events specialist, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Greg Fedor, director of membership services, Western Pennsylvania Golf Association
- Jessica Martin, manager, ticket sales and operations, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Meghan McCabe, club manager, Heinz Field
- Dani McSweeney, associate project manager, Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Rebekah Mohrmann, athletic communications assistant, Lock Haven University
- Anthony Pignetti, executive director of business development, Reading Fightin Phils
- Evan Schall, director of communications, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Fausto Severino, director of Latin America scouting, Washington Nationals
- Erik Stouter, account executive, Washington Wild Things
- David Wilson, instant replay technician and game day assistant, Philadelphia Eagles
Sports-Focused Faculty, Coursework and Internships
Faculty teaching sports management-focused courses in the SAEM department include Robert Derda, M.S., former general manager of Learfield Sports; Chuck Berry, sports talent agent and Karen Hall, Ed.D., executive leadership coach. Sports talent agent Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business, is a co-founder of the SAEM program.
Sports management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Amateur Athletics
- Media Relations in Sports
- Sports Agents
- Sports Management/Leadership
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.
Point Park Pittsburgh Penguins Sales Team
The Point Park University Pittsburgh Penguins Sales Team was recognized during a game by alumna Celina Pompeani Mathison.
Video courtesy of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Point Park Cavs Sales Team
The Point Park University CAVS Student Sales Team was honored on court before a Cleveland Cavaliers basketball game.
Video courtesy of the Cleveland Cavaliers