Sports Management Focus
The SAEM department is unique because of its walking distance to so many iconic sports franchises including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Strong NCAA organizations are located nearby as well.
However, it's not just the close proximity to sports teams that gives SAEM students an advantage — it's having Point Park alumni working for each organization. These advantages translate into networking and shadowing opportunities, industry experts in the classroom, internships, and, ultimately, jobs.
SAEM Alumni Working in Sports
Our SAEM alumni working in the sports management field include:
- Austin Brooks, director of marketing and co-founder, Pro Zone: The Agency
- Morgan Day, account executive, York Revolution
- Dana Drewniak, group events specialist, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Ashley (Johnson) Ovesen, engagement and events manager, Colorado State University
- Jessica Martin, inside sales representative, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Meghan McCabe, club manager, Heinz Field
- Dani McSweeney, manager of partnership marketing, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Rebekah Mohrmann, athletic communications assistant, Lock Haven University
- Anthony Pignetti, executive director of business development, Reading Fightin Phils
- Evan Schall, director of communications, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Fausto Severino, director of Latin America scouting, Washington Nationals
- David Wilson, instant replay technician and game day assistant, Philadelphia Eagles
Sports-Focused Faculty, Coursework and Internships
Faculty teaching sports management-focused courses in the SAEM department include Robert Derda, M.S., former general manager of Learfield Sports and Jennifer (Bullano) Ridgley, MBA, senior director of communications for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Sports talent agent Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business, is a co-founder of the SAEM program.
Sports management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Amateur Athletics
- Media Relations in Sports
- Sports Agents
- Sports Management/Leadership
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.
Point Park Cavs Sales Team
The Point Park University CAVS Student Sales Team was honored on court before a Cleveland Cavaliers basketball game.
Video courtesy of the Cleveland Cavaliers
Cavs Sales Team Members
- Bryanna Appley
- Dan Bradlow
- Morgan Day
- Mitchum Donatelli
- Jillian Svonavec
- Matt Whitaker
- Maddie Winger
- Jessica Martin (coordinator)