Matt Pelfrey, M.F.A.
Graduate Program Director, M.F.A. in Screenwriting & Playwriting
- M.F.A., Playwriting, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.A., English/Creative Writing, San Francisco State University
- Dramatic Storytelling
- Thesis I
Matt Pelfrey is a film, theatre and television writer.
He worked as a staff writer on the MTV drama Skins and wrote, produced and directed webisodes and content for MTV.com.
His screenplay Survivalism was included on the 2011 Blood List, an industry-generated list of the favorite unproduced horror and thriller scripts in Hollywood.
His plays have been produced around the country and overseas to critical acclaim, including Cockroach Nation, Terminus Americana, An Impending Rupture of the Belly, Pure Shock Value, Freak Storm, NOgoodDeed and the stage adaptation of In the Heat of the Night, The Pilo Family Circus and Winkie and the Basketball Diaries.
His plays are available from Original Works Publishing, Broadway Play Publishing and Samuel French.
- Writers Guild of America, West
- Dramatists Guild
- John Ball's In the Heat of the Night (full-length)
- Will Elliot's The Pilo Family Circus (full-length)
- NOgoodDEED (full-length)
- Terminus Americana (full-length)
- Clifford Chase's Winkie (full-length)
- The Reason for the Season (one-act)
- The Find
- Gore Hounds
- Cockroach Nation (full-length play), Original Works Publishing, trade edition, 2013
- Terminus Americana (full-length play), Original Works Publishing, trade edition, 2013
- John Ball's In the Heat of the Night (full-length play), Samuel French Publishers, 2012
- Pure Shock Value (full-length play), Broadway Play Publishing, acting edition, 2012
- The Alligator Gospels, Seven Devils Playwrights Conference, 2020
Awards and Honors
- Heidman Award, Actor's Theater of Louisville
- Backstage Garland Award for Playwriting
- L.A. Weekly Playwriting Award (nomination)
- Los Angeles Ovation Award (nomination)