Virginia Chambers, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Education
Coordinator, M.Ed. in Athletic Coaching and Administration and M.Ed. Pre-K through 4th Grade programs
- Bachelor of Science, Elementary Education, Pennsylvania State University
- Master of Education, University of Virginia
- Doctor of Education, Reading Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Technological Literacy for Education
- Building Family Partnerships
- Art and Music in Teaching
- Reading Methods I and II
- Differentiated Reading for the Developing Child
- Math Methods I and II
- Student Teaching Seminar
- Technological Applications Across the Curriculum
Virginia Hall Chambers, Ed.D., is an associate professor of education at Point Park and coordinator of the University's M.Ed. graduate programs in athletic coaching and administration and Pre-K through 4th grade. Prior to joining Point Park, Chambers was a research and teaching assistant and university liaison for the reading specialist intern program at the University of Pittsburgh's School of Education. Before that, she participated in New York University's Steinhardt Global Program at the Institute of Education in London and Oxford, England. For 10 years, Chambers was a second grade teacher and kindergarten teacher at Takoma Park Elementary School in Takoma Park, Md., and a third grade teacher at St. Paul's School in Brooklandville, Md. Chambers has presented both nationally and internationally on children's literature and reading.
- Reading Specialist Certification (K-12)
- Maryland Standard Professional II (K-6)
- Pennsylvania Instructional I (K-6)
- "Caldecott Medal Picturebooks from the 1970s and 2000s: Promoting or Hindering Cross-Cultural Understanding?" Childhood Education, 2011.
- "Books without Boundaries: Children's Literature that Supports Global Awareness, Global Book Review, 2011.
- "Expecting the Unexpected: Explorations into Historical Research," History of Reading News, 2010.
- "Coaches and Coaching in Reading First Schools: A Reality Check," co-author, Elementary School Journal, 2010.
- "A Century of Children's Literature," The Frick Art and Historical Center, Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2012.
- "Exploring the Past from a New Perspective: Using a Multigene Approach for Historical Research About Pioneers in the Reading Field," co-presenter, National Reading Conference Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, Texas, December 2010.
- "Caldecott Award Books from the 1970s and 2000s: Promoting or Hindering Cross-Cultural Understanding?" International Reading Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, Ill. April 2010.
- "Optimal Distance Delivery Models for International Contexts: Faculty Analysis," CGSE Annual Research Conference, Pittsburgh, Pa., March 2010.
- "A Comparison of Two American Readers: 1936 and 2009," National Reading Conference Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, N.M., December 2009.
- "Nietz Old Schoolbook Collection: Comparing Cultural Diversity in American Readers from 1865, 1936 & 2009," poster presentation at the International Research Society for Children's Literature Biennial Congress, Frankfurt, Germany, Aug. 8-12, 2009.
Service and Honors
- FEA Faculty representative, Point Park University
- Act 48 Workshop presenter, Frick Art and Historical Center, 2012
- National Reading Conference proposal reviewer, 2009-2011
- Book Reviewer, History of Reading Special Interest Group, 2010
- NCTEAR Conference proposal reviewer, University of Pittsburgh, 2009
- Varsity tennis coach, Mt. Lebanon High School, 2009-2012
- USTA Middle States AMD Coach of the Year
- International Reading Association
- United States Board on Books for Young People
- International Research Society for Children's Literature
- Pennsylvania Association of College and Teacher Educators
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- International Society for Technology in Education
Point Park Features
- "Photos: Point Park's School of Education Opens Matt's Maker Space Lab," Point Park University website, Aug. 31, 2021.
- "Education Alumna Courtney Blocher is a Long-Term Substitute Teacher at Carlynton School District," Point Park University website, March 2, 2021.
- "Point Park University's School of Education Opens Matt's Maker Space Lab," Point Park University website, Feb. 23, 2021.
- "School of Education Students Earn Common Sense Educator Badge of Distinction," Point Park University website, Jan. 26, 2021.
- "Entering Education with an M.Ed. Degree – and Ready to Teach Pre-K Through Fourth Grade," Point Park University website, April 29, 2020.
- "Education Majors Engage with Early Learners at Community Leap Day Event," Point Park University website, March 5, 2020.
- "Teaching Abroad in the Emerald Isle: Education Majors Serve as Student Teachers in Ireland," Point Park University website, April 30, 2019.
- "Point Park University Athletic Coaching Graduate Program One of Only Four in the State to Offer PIAA Approved Courses," Point Park University website, Nov. 27, 2018.
- "Point Park Education Students Judge PBS KIDS Writers Contest for WQED," Point Park University website, April 11, 2017.