WPPJ Radio Earns National Recognition Monday, December 19, 2016
WPPJ - Point Park University's student-run radio station - received four College Radio Award nominations for the 77th annual Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference and radio awards to be presented this March in New York City.
"This is the seventh year in a row WPPJ has been named as category finalists," said David J. Fabilli, professor of broadcasting and adviser of WPPJ. "It's so exciting to see our students get highly competitive about their work."
At Point Park, more than 70 students from a variety of majors are gaining hands-on experience on-and-off the air.
"The students are working on more than 50 radio programs," Fabilli added. "They get it, they dig it and they're doing their jobs enthusiastically."
This year's student finalists include:
- Vincent Ferrainola, Alex Popichak and Brandon Cross: "Best Celebrity Interview" for an interview with Sarah Koenig, host and co-creator of the Serial podcast
- Brandon Cross: "Best Public Service Announcement" for a PSA about freedom of speech
- Miranda Van Bramer: "Best Program Promo" for a promo for her show Girls Overboard
- Vincent Ferrainola: "Best Station Promotion"
At the conference, students will have the opportunity to network with like-minded professionals, as well as peers from colleges and universities from around the country. Additionally, they will participate in seminars and attend live music events.
- School of Communication
- Student Media & Organizations
- Center for Media Innovation
- Request Information