Get Career-Ready with: Olivia Lehman '25, 4th-8th Grade Science Education Major Student Profile
Meet Olivia Lehman '25
- Education 4th – 8th Grade
- College Activities
- Competitive cheer team and campus tour guide
- Edinboro, Pa.
- High School
- General McLane High School
- Dream Job
- 8th grade science teacher
- Hobbies & Interests
- Visiting local coffee shops and relaxing in my hammock when the weather is nice
"Point Park provides connections and resources for students to build a successful life after college. Students are able to establish meaningful relationships with faculty, which can lead to a greater chance of opportunity within their desired field. The faculty at Point Park care about their students and want them to succeed, motivating them to put their best work and their best foot forward."
Describe the moment you knew Point Park University was the school for you.
I was nervous about picking my college just like any graduating senior in high school, but I knew that Point Park was for me after my mom and I took a campus tour. We both loved the campus and the welcoming, intimate atmosphere!
What are three things you love most about Point Park?
- I love how nice all my fellow students are! I do not go one day without waving to someone and asking them how they are, and so many people share the same neighborly attitude.
- I love the small class sizes. It is easy to develop authentic relationships with your professors, and it's easy to ask them questions about any homework, tests or course concepts.
- I love the diverse opportunities that each student has to explore their interests. From athletics to arts, there is a community for all!
Who is your favorite professor?
My favorite professor is definitely Rebekah Young! Everything I ever heard about biology professors being super tough was thrown out the window when I had a class with her. She is so nice and understanding. She helped me fall back in love with biology and reminded me why I want to be a science teacher!
@pointparku Join Olivia Lehman '25, as she gets career-ready at #PointParkU an Education major, member of the competitive cheer team and campus tour guide! 📣👏 Check out her Q&A at pointpark.edu #GRWM #GetReadyWithMe #PointParkUniversity #EducationMajor ♬ original sound - Point Park Univ.
How is Point Park preparing you for career success?
In many School of Education courses, we are assigned observation experiences so that we can observe teachers, paraprofessionals and other educators in different types of classrooms. These assignments have given me a great deal of insight into the strengths and weaknesses of a teacher's practice, and they have helped me identify my own training needs so that I will able to bring out my full potential and that of my students when I become a teacher.
Describe your experience on Point Park's competitive cheer team.
Being a part of the cheer team has been an eye-opening, fulfilling experience. I've had the chance to work with dedicated students, younger and older than me, who have helped me grow as a cheerleader, student and friend. Together as teammates, we have grown very close due to our busy practice schedule and hours spent traveling to competitions. We are all super supportive of each other on and off the mat, which I love!
As a campus tour guide, what is your favorite place to show prospective students?
My favorite place to show prospective students is our campus coffee shop, Point Perk, because it’s my favorite spot on campus. Students love having a place other than the library to study, get coffee and hang out with friends!
What do you like about Downtown Pittsburgh?
Living in Downtown Pittsburgh creates a strong sense of motivation as our campus is embedded in the city's business district. This allows students to easily access many restaurants, parks and museums, especially with the public transportation system constantly operating throughout our campus. Having these destinations to explore allows students to experience school and campus life in a different way than what one would find at another school.
Why would you recommend Point Park to a prospective student?
Point Park provides connections and resources for students to build a successful life after college. Students are able to establish meaningful relationships with faculty, which can lead to a greater chance of opportunity within their desired field. The faculty at Point Park care about their students and want them to succeed, motivating them to put their best work and their best foot forward.
Check out more interviews with education majors:
- School of Education Students Gain Classroom and Research Experience with Open the Joy Program
- Get Career-Ready with: Ava Cook '24, Elementary Education Major
- Field Experiences Offer Education Students Valuable Real-World Training Opportunities
- Get Career-Ready with: Sophie Jebose '23, Elementary Education Major
More About: education, faculty, Get Career-Ready, athletics, School of Education