Meet 2015 HR management alumnus Chad Sanders, information technology recruiter for Synergy Staffing.
Who Studies Human Resource Management?
Are you a people person? The human resources major at Point Park University in Downtown Pittsburgh will give you a solid background in psychology, business, sociology and education — and prepare you for a variety of HR-related professions. Your courses will emphasize an interdisciplinary understanding of employee needs, selection and placement, and training and development.
You'll also be trained in personnel management, leadership, adult development, computer applications, work-place regulations, compensation and benefits, organizational behavior and labor and industrial relations.
Our institutional practicum provides you with the chance to participate in meaningful internships at convenient locations throughout Downtown Pittsburgh and the region. All students prepare a portfolio of academic work and complete an assessment to demonstrate what they have learned in their HR courses.
For freshmen to returning professionals, the following degrees, as well as a certificate and minor, are offered in the human resource management degree program:
- Bachelor of Science - Traditional, four-year degree (See concentration options).
- Post-baccalaureate - This B.S. degree program is available for students who already have a bachelor's degree in another field and want to take advantage of the rapidly growing demand for graduates in HR management.
- Certificate - This is for human resource professionals who need additional course work in the field and are interested in earning C.P.E. credits. Read our Gainful Employment Disclosure for this certificate program.
- Minor - Students from other majors can obtain a minor in human resource management for 18 credits.
Students in the traditional HR management degree program can choose to concentrate in one of the following areas:
- Strategic Planning/Management
Alignment with Professional Organizations in Human Resources
Point Park University's human resources degree fully aligns with the HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates of the Society of Human Resource Management, the world's largest association devoted to human resource management. SHRM serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession.
Course Offerings in the Human Resources Major
You will receive a well-rounded education through Point Park's core curriculum and classes in the human resources major. Some of the courses include:
- Business Ethics
- Organizational Behavior
- HR Policies in Electronic Communications
- Seminar in HR Management
- Regulations in the Workplace
- Compensation and Benefits
HR Internship Opportunities
Students in the human resource management degree program have the opportunity to intern for organizations like:
- Del Monte Foods
- Waddell & Reed
- Empyrean Services
- Pennsylvania Women Work Program
- American Lung Association
- New Hill District Business Association
- Holy Family Institute
Human Resources Jobs
With a human resources degree, you will have the option to pursue various career opportunities, such as:
- HR Generalist
- HR Specialist
- HR Manager
- Training and Development Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Non-Profit Administrator
- Payroll Specialist
- Employee Relations Manager
- Compensation or Benefits Analyst/Manager
- HR Information System Manager
- Training and Development Manager
- Labor Relations Manager
HR Degree-Related Links
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- SHRM's Academic Initiative
- Assurance of Learning Assessment