Richard Gutkind, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Programs, School of Education
Coordinator, M.A. in Education Administration, M.Ed. in Secondary Education and Principal Certificate programs
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, Carnegie Mellon University
- Master of Education, Secondary Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Philosophy, Educational Administration, University of Pittsburgh
- Methods of Teaching Science and Health
- Teaching Mathematics/Science in Grades 4-8
- Human Behavior and Classroom Management
- Instructional Methods
- Guided Study in K-12 Education
- Instructional Methods for Secondary Teachers
- Student Teaching Seminar
Richard Gutkind, Ph.D., has been a member of the education faculty at Point Park University since September 2007. Prior to Point Park, Gutkind has a 35-year career holding various positions for the Pittsburgh Public Schools including mathematics teacher at two schools, supervisor of a Title I mathematics program and assistant principal at two schools. He also served as principal at Overbrook Elementary School; Schiller Classical Academy and Taylor Allderdice High School. In addition, Gutkind had the opportunity to work in staff development as director of the Greenway Middle School Teacher Center and the central office where he was executive director for curriculum and instruction for the school district. Moreover, Gutkind has consulted with a number of school districts over the years and has presented at many local and national educational conferences.
- Secondary Mathematics Teacher
- Secondary Principal Certification
- Assistant Superintendent Letter of Eligibility
- School leadership
- School reform
- Mathematics and science education
- Assessment and Instruction
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Pittsburgh Association of School Retirees
- Pennsylvania Association of School Retirees
- Creative Nonfiction Foundation, board member
Point Park Features
- "School of Education Invests in Youth Mental Health First Aid," Point Park University website, May 18, 2021.
- "The Point Park M.Ed. Path to Becoming Certified to Teach Secondary Education," Point Park University, May 1, 2020.
- "Faculty and Career Development Center Help Education Students Land Teaching Jobs for Fall," Point Park University website, June 28, 2016.
- "Alumnus, Graduate Student Lands Dream Job as an English/Special Education Teacher," Point Park University website, Oct. 14, 2015.
- "Singapore Educators Meet with Graduate Education Professors," Point Park University website, July 3, 2014.
- "Graduate Education Student Selected for Pittsburgh Schweitzer Fellows Program," Point Park University website, May 14, 2013.
- "Graduate Education Department Welcomes Educators from Central and South America," Point Park University website, April 8, 2013.
- "Master's Degree in Secondary Education Paves Alum's Path to Teaching High School Science," Point Park University website, May 29, 2012.