Bob O'Gara, M.A.
- M.A., Liberal Studies, Duquesne University
- B.S., Public Relations, Utica College
- Public Relations
- Marketing Communications
Bob O'Gara joined the University teaching ranks part time in 1983 and became a full-time professor in 1993. His teaching style blends extensive real-world experience with the best of contemporary theory spiced generously with informal professional insights and humor. Because of O'Gara's ties to the Pittsburgh public relations and advertising community, top communications professionals from some of the largest and best communication organizations regularly provide interaction with Point Park University students. O'Gara was awarded Emeritus status in 2019. Nationally, he is a member of the Ray Simon Institute for Public Relations and Journalism in Utica, N.Y.
Prior to teaching, O'Gara was in corporate public relations and advertising for Pittsburgh Corning Corp. and Koppers Company Inc., where he served as manager of the Communications Services Department and director of public relations. He then joined PNC Financial Corp. as head of its corporate and public affairs department. O'Gara managed a communications consulting practice covering employee, financial and marketing communications for a variety of industrial, commercial and nonprofit clients.
O'Gara is a board member of Mainstay Life Services (residential services and support for people with developmental disabilities and their families) and emeritus education adviser to the Pittsburgh Chapter, Public Relations Society of America, Pittsburgh Ad Fed and American Marketing Association.
He lives in Mount Lebanon with his wife, Sally. They have two sons, Brian and Kevin.
- Pittsburgh Chapter, Public Relations Society of America
- Pittsburgh Advertising Federation
- Media Association of Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Press Club
- Public Relations Society of America College of Fellows
- Hall of Fame, Pittsburgh Public Relations Society of America
- Legend in Public Relations, Pittsburgh Public Relations Society of America
Point Park Features
- "Faculty Profile: Meet Bob O'Gara, Public Relations and Advertising," Point Park University website, Jan. 22, 2015.
- "Communication Grad and International Student Credits Point Park for Success," Point Park University website, June 7, 2013.
- "Advertising/PR Student Wins Renaissance Award," Point Park University website, Feb. 11, 2010.
- "Point Park Ad Competition Places Third, Best Placement in University's History," Point Park University website, June 4, 2010.
- "Students Learn Valuable Tips at HS Media Day," Point Park University website, Nov. 18, 2010.