Skip to main content
Associate Professor of Photography
- M.F.A., Studio Art/Photography, University of California, Irvine
- B.F.A., Photography, University of Akron
- Digital Printing Methodologies
- Experimental Black and White Photography
- View Camera Techniques
- Photographic Art Marketing
- Contemporary Issues in Photo
- Studio Lighting
- Senior Thesis
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Associated Artists of Pittsburgh
- College Art Association
- Society for Photographic Education
- Photographic Resource Center
- solo exhibition, Silver Eye Center for Photography, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2023.
- Exposure, Fort Points Arts Community Gallery, Boston, Mass., 2022.
- Artist in the Window, Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art (SAMA), Altoona, Pa., 2022.
- The Implications of the Camera, SAMA, Altoona, Pa., 2021.
- Spectator, Pittsburgh International Airport, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2020.
- Secret, SPACE, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2019.
- Mid-Atlantic Image Makers, SPEMA, Pennsylvania College of Art + Design, Lancaster, Pa., 2019.
- Lights, Camera, Action, Kunstraum LLC, Brooklyn, N.Y., 2018.
- The Photography Show, AIPAD, Stephen Bulger Gallery Exhibition Booth, New York, N.Y., 2018.
- Starless Midnight, Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead, UK, 2018.
- Friges, A. (2023). The Contemporary Student and the Critique. In Armstrong, E. & Doren, M.'s, Let's Talk About Critique: Reimagining Art and Design Education.
Awards and Honors
- Residency Grant, SAMA, 2022
- Social Impact Scholar Awardee, in partnership with United Homecare Workers, 2022
- Artistic Scholarship Award (teaching release) for developing research in Tinytypes, 2019
- Pittsburgh Foundation Creative Development Grant, Heinz Endowments/Pittsburgh Foundation, 2016
- Assets for Artists Professional Development Fellowship, 2016
- Flight School Fellowship, The Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, 2015
- Commendation award winner, Fellowship 15 program, Silver Eye Center for Photography, 2014-2015
- Residency Grant, The Vermont Studio Center, 2012
- Pedagogical Fellowship, University of California, Irvine, 2010
- California Fellowship for the Arts, University of California, Irvine, 2010
Point Park Features
In the News
- "'Exposure 2022' Takes Photography to Unexpected Places," The Boston Globe, Aug. 10, 2022.
- "Let's Talk About Art: Is it Sculpture or Photography?," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 6, 2015.
- "April Friges' Show Interrogates Photography's Limits," Pittsburgh City Paper, Dec. 17, 2014.
- "Point Park Professor's Photos on Exhibit in Oakland," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 11, 2014.
- "Light Show: Solo Exhibit Serves as 'Spectator' to Effects of Exposure," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dec. 3, 2014.
- "Sewickley Sweetwater Exhibit Examines 'Pop' Influences," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jan. 15, 2014.
Explore the BFA Photography Program