The SAEM department is unique because of its walking distance to so many iconic sports franchises including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Strong NCAA organizations are located nearby as well.
However, it's not just the close proximity to sports teams that gives SAEM students an advantage - it's having Point Park alumni working for each organization. These advantages translate into networking and shadowing opportunities, industry experts in the classroom, internships, and, ultimately, jobs.
SAEM Alumni Working in Sports
Our SAEM alumni working in the sports management field include:
- Nicole Bozeman, CEO of O.T. Advisors
- Ali Lewis Choe, marketing and event manager for Spectra by Comcast Spectacor
- Dana Drewniak, ticket sales representative for the Orlando Magic
- Ashley Johnson, special events coordinator for Sports Authority Field at Mile High
- Samantha Lynn, advertising coordinator for the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Meghan McCabe, club manager at Heinz Field
- Evan Schall, new media coordinator for the Pittsburgh Penguins
- David Wilson, instant replay technician and game day assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles
Sports-Focused Faculty, Course Work and Internships
Faculty teaching sports management-focused courses in the SAEM department include include Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business and sports talent agent; Robert Derda, former general manager of Learfield Sports; and Jennifer (Bullano) Ridgley, senior director of communications for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Sports management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Amateur Athletics
- Media Relations in Sports
- Sports Agents
- Sports Communication
- Sports Ethics
- Sports Leadership
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree program. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.