Associate Professor of Multimedia
Director, Wood Street Communications
- Ph.D., Educational Technology, Nova Southeastern University
- M.A., Organizational Communication, University of Albany
- B.A., Broadcast Journalism and Business, SUNY College at Buffalo
- Social Media
- Advanced Social Media
- Survey of Mass Communication
- Visual Communication Design
- Online Journalism/Intro to Multimedia
- Publications Production I & II
- Desktop & Electronic Publishing
- Web Publishing & Editing
- Citizen and Community Journalism
- Information Graphics
- Multimedia Capstone
- City-University Life
Heather Starr Fiedler, Ph.D. is an associate professor of multimedia. She specializes in new and emerging media technology and online journalism. Prior to coming to Point Park in 2000, she taught business and computer science at West Virginia Northern Community College, communications at Robert Morris University and was the director of training for Gateway Computers in Pittsburgh. She lives in Cheswick with her husband and two sons Matthew and Benjamin.
- Adviser, Online News Association student chapter
- Vice President of Education, Media Association of Pittsburgh
- Broadcast Educators Association
- Interactive Media Technologies Division student awards co-chair
- Director, Wood Street Communications
- Adviser to college literary magazine, The Cavalcade
- Outreach coordinator, School of Communication
- "Keep it Pinteresting," Broadcast Educators Association, 2012
Awards and Honors
- Named one of 14 "Women in Media" by the Women & Girls Foundation, 2010
- Selected as one of Pittsburgh's 40 Under 40, 2009
- Communicator Awards — PittsburghMom.com, 2009
Point Park Features
- "Telling Stories and Changing Lives Theme of Fall 2015 High School Media Day," Point Park University website, Nov. 24, 2015.
- "Point Park Offering Region's First Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Community Engagement Program," Point Park University website, July 8, 2015.
- "M.A. in Communication Technology Adds Social Media Concentration," Point Park University website, April 27, 2015.
- "A Discussion on Digital Media with Heather Starr Fiedler," Point Park University website, Dec. 7, 2009.
In the News
- "West Deer Offers Corrective to Online Rumor Mill," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 30, 2016.
- "Point Park University's New Ph.D. in Community Engagement Program," Our Region's Business, Oct. 25, 2015.
- "Facebook to Directly Host News Content (starts at 23:09)," Essential Pittsburgh, May 14, 2015.
- "Point Park Students Go Beyond Just Building Resumes," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Nov. 3, 2014.
- "Point Park Student Agency to Help Nonprofits Connect," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 15, 2014.