Dorene Ciletti, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Sales and Marketing
H.J. Heinz Company Endowed Chair in Business Management
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Duquesne University
- Master of Business Administration, Management and Marketing, Duquesne University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Rhetoric/Integrated Marketing Communication, Duquesne University
- Principles of Marketing
- Professional Selling
- Marketing (MBA)
Dorene Ciletti, Ph.D., is an associate professor of business management (focusing on sales and marketing) in the Rowland School of Business at Point Park University. Before joining Point Park, Ciletti was an assistant professor of marketing and lead planner and acting director of the Center for Leadership in Professional Sales at Duquesne University. At Duquesne, Ciletti also served in the roles of program coordinator, curriculum designer, faculty advisor and director of the Marketing Honors Institute.
In addition to teaching, Ciletti has worked in marketing and sales in the health care and banking industries. Ciletti has organized and moderated several major conferences and has served as an ad hoc journal reviewer and author for a variety of scholarly publications. Her teaching centers on action learning, including consulting with multinational corporations, experiential service learning, IDEO design thinking, and collaboration with community and government leaders.
- Professional selling
- Sales and social responsibility
- Integration of sustainability in marketing and sports
- Marketing and career development
Selected Honors and Awards
- Sales and social responsibility community-engaged pathways grant, Duquesne University, 2016-19
- University Assessment Award, Duquesne University, 2016
- Scholarship recipient, Faculty Development in International Business seminar, University of South Carolina, 2007
- Marketer of the Year Award team member, American Marketing Association Pittsburgh Chapter, 2007
- Fast Tracker Award, Pittsburgh Business Times, 2004
- "Communication and marketing: Toward a responsive ethical framework," The Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics, 2017.
- "An enhanced model for managing change in organizations," Journal of Applied Marketing Theory, 2012.
- "Tomorrow's champions of sustainability: How everyday leaders can harness grass roots momentum to advance adoption of ecologically sound practices in sport and event management," Journal of Applied Marketing Theory, 2011.
- Sports Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, West Virginia University: Fitness Information Technology, 2011.
- Marketing Yourself (1st and 2nd editions), South-Western Cengage Learning and South-Western Educational Publishing, 2011 and 2004.
- "Sports entrepreneurship: A theoretical approach," Sports Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 2011.
- "Entrepreneurial price lining strategy in sports: the case of a small market MLB franchise," Sports Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 2011.
- "Sustainability communication in North American professional sports leagues: Insights form website self-presentations," International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010.
- "Designing a model for improved outcomes among student-athletes in sports education," Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education, 2010.
- "The impact of marketing promotion on new program introduction: The case of the Masters in Sports Leadership," Journal of International Management Studies, 2009.
Selected Conference Proceedings
- "Stepping up to the plate: Considerations of sustainability in sport," North American Society for Sport Management, 2014.
- "Effective sales training to enhance employability in the sport industry," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice, 2012.
- "A preliminary investigation of website sustainability communication by FIFA member associations," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice, 2011.
- "Enhancing communications kills through sales course design," Atlantic Marketing Conference, 2011.
- "Evidence of sustainability communication in Major League Baseball: A website analysis," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice, 2010.
- "Sustainability communication in the NFL," Sport Marketing Association Annual Conference, 2009.
- "Increasing marketing penetration through efficient promotion and product involvement: Masters in Sports Leadership case," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice, 2009.
- "The impact of advertising on new program introduction: The case of the Masters in Sports Leadership program, Atlantic Marketing Conference, 2008.
- "Developing a vehicle for communication and awareness in the business school environment," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice, 2006.
- "Factors in retail selling success: A case study in the confectionary industry," Atlantic Marketing Conference, 2005.
Selected Conference Presentations
- "Teaching sales: Practical applications to link theory with practice," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice Annual Conference, Ponte Verda, Fla., March 2018.
- "Women in sports: Moving communicatively past the glass ceiling and glass cliff and through the leadership labyrinth," Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., October 2017.
- "The marketing plan: Using marketing plans and related resources to support experiential learning in the classroom," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice Annual Conference, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 2017.
- "The best practices to eliminate distraction due to mobile device usage in classrooms without creating a negative and hostile classroom experience," Association of Marketing Theory and Practice Annual Conference, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 2017.
- "Facilitating learning with diverse teams through design thinking," Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., October 2016.
- "Teaching with design thinking [Workshop]," Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., October 2016.
- "The entrepreneurial nature of sustainability," Northeastern Association of Business, Economics and Technology, State College, Pa., October 2013.
- "The Pittsburgh Steelers: Building a 'nation' of fans," Sport Marketing Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, Pa., November 2007.
- "Sports marketing: A historical perspective," Sport Marketing Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, Pa., November 2007.
- Price lining strategy in sports marketing: case of small market MLB franchise," Sport Marketing Association Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, Pa., November 2007.
Selected Invited Presentations
- "Actively Engaging Students in Flex-Tech Classrooms," Center for Teaching Excellence, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2015.
- "Getting HIP with Flipped Classrooms," Point Park University Summer Faculty Academy, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2014.
- "Maximizing Your Time & Deepening Student Learning by Flipping Your Class,"Center for Teaching Excellence, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2014.
- "Identifying and Researching Your Marketing," Entrepreneuring Youth, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2012.
- "Marketing Yourself," Phi Beta Lamda State Leadership Conference, Harrisburg, Pa. 2007.
- "Consumer Trends and Shoestring Strategies," Visit Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2007.
- "Identifying and Researching Your Market: Market Research and Segmentation for Aspiring Entrepreneurs," National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2006.
- "Building a Volunteer Sales Force: Turning Your Customers into a Profit Driving Machine," Entrepreneur's Growth Conference, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pa., 20005.
- "Building Buzz, Building Relationships," American Marketing Association First Annual Regional Conference, Pittsburgh, PA., 2004.
- "Marketing Professional Services," American Society of Appraisers, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2003.
- Board member, Parent Education and Advocacy Leadership (PEAL) Center, 2010-present
- Board member, Mt. Lebanon Partnership, 2009-present
- Team manager, Miracle League of the South Hills, 2012-present
- Volunteer, In-Stride with Therapeutic Riding, 2010-present
- Board member, Franciscan Child Day Care Center, 2004-2009
In the News
- Discussion on the growing vaping/e-cigarette industry and the danger it poses to young people, Part 1 and Part 2, KDKA/Post-Gazette Sunday Edition, Sept. 15, 2019.
- "Retail is gaining a stronger presence," Observer-Reporter, Nov. 17, 2018.
- "A 'blue light special' from Kmart manager goes viral," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Oct. 23, 2018.
Point Park Features
- "Point Park University’s America250PA Student Team Advances to State Finals," Point Park University website, Nov. 4, 2019.
- "Point Park Students Compete in Pittsburgh American Marketing Association Collegiate Competition," Point Park University website, April 12, 2019.
- "Point Park Students Place Second in National GfK NextGen Hackathon Competition," Point Park University website, Feb. 15, 2019.
- "Point Park University Welcomes 12 New Full-Time Faculty Members," Point Park University website, Sept. 27, 2018.