Robert Derda, M.S.
Assistant Professor and Chair of Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management
- Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, Duquesne University
- Master of Science, Leadership concentrating in Sports Leadership, Duquesne University
- Introduction to Sports, Arts and Entertainment
- Career Prep
- Personal Branding and Business Development
- Sports Leadership
- Principles of Marketing
Robert Derda, M.S., assistant professor and chair of the Department of Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management in the Rowland School of Business at Point Park University, brings 12 years of teaching experience and more than 25 years in professional sports experience to his position. His teaching includes graduate and undergraduate as well as guest speaking in the Rowland School of Business at Point Park University, the A.J. Palumbo School of Business at Duquesne and the University of Pittsburgh College of Business Administration.
Derda's professional background includes full-time work and consultant roles most recently as general manager at Learfield Sports, as well as previously with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Duquesne University athletics, the National Basketball Association, the Women's National Basketball Association, Clear Channel Communications, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, International Sports Marketing and others. Additionally, he has been invited to present at the National Sports Forum and other conferences and events on sales and career development topics.
- "Life Skills and Career Development," City Charter High School, Feb. 8, 2018.
- Board member, Chuck Cooper Foundation
- Steering committee former member, National Sports Forum
In the News
- "Kicking It Up a Notch: With financials improving, playoff-bound Riverhounds looks to raise its local profile," Pittsburgh Business Times, Oct. 17, 2019.
Point Park Features
- "Spotlight on the Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management Major: A Q&A with SAEM Faculty," Point Park University website, June 3, 2020.
- "Point Park Recognized as a Top University for Professional Sales Education," Point Park University website, April 16, 2020.
- "SAEM Program Invites High School Students to Explore Theatre Arts Management Careers," Point Park University website, Dec. 19, 2019.
- "Major League Baseball Players Don Kelly ’06 and Neil Walker Chat With SAEM Sports Agents Class," Point Park University website, Nov. 25, 2019.
- "Rowland School of Business Faculty Invited to NBA Hall of Fame Ceremony," Point Park University website, Sept. 10, 2019.
- "Pittsburgh Pirates Invite SAEM Students to Join Bucs Sales Team, Provide Training at PNC Park," Point Park University website, Sept. 5, 2019.
- "Students boost ticket sales for the Pittsburgh Playhouse and Cleveland Cavaliers," The Point, Spring 2019 issue.
- "Emerging Trends in Sports Seminar Focuses on Esports and Mobile Ticketing, Features Cleveland Cavaliers CEO," Point Park University website, April 2, 2019.
- "Selling Tickets for the Cavs: SAEM Students Join Cleveland Cavaliers Sales Team," Point Park University website, March 12, 2019.
- "Pioneer Records Names Allissa Logsdon as its Newest Recording Artist," Point Park University website, Oct. 23, 2018.
- "Sports Industry Seminar Allows Students to Network and Learn From Professionals in the Field," Point Park University website, April 4, 2018.
- "YWCA's Chaz Kellem Inspires Students to Cultivate a Culture of DIversity & Inclusion," Point Park University website, Jan. 18, 2018.