Accounting – A Career with Limitless Possibilities
From global banking companies and small businesses to sports teams and the FBI, job opportunities available in the accounting profession are diverse, dynamic and vast. One in four CEOs are accountants, and accounting is one of the most common degrees among top-earning CFOs. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 4 percent growth in the accounting field between 2022 and 2032, with 126,500 job openings each year. The median pay is $78,000.
Point Park University offers a Bachelor of Science degree program and a post-baccalaureate program in accounting — on campus or fully online — providing you flexibility in choosing the path that best suits your needs and career goals.
You will learn from industry-focused faculty who will connect you to valuable networking and career opportunities. Point Park's small class sizes allow for individualized instruction, and coursework focuses on real-world scenarios and relevant case studies. You'll graduate ready for the CPA exam and equipped to build a successful career.
Through Point Park's accounting program, you will earn six credits toward our MBA degree program, making it possible to graduate in five years with an MBA and the 150 credits generally required for CPA licensure.
Courses & Topics
Our average class size of 15-20 students allows for personalized learning. You will receive a well-rounded education through our core curriculum and various courses in the accounting major, taught by industry-experience faculty.
- Accounting Internship I & II
- Financial Accounting
- Business Analytics
- Managerial Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Accounting Information Systems
Point Park's on-campus accounting degree program immerses you in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh, a gateway to a variety of career connections, with Fortune 500 companies and Big Four firms steps away from campus.
Our industry-focused faculty are actively engaged in the field and leverage their professional connections to benefit their students, from taking classes on tours of local firms to bringing guest speakers to campus.
Outside of the classroom, you'll have access to a variety of accounting-focused activities on campus and in the Pittsburgh community:
- Our Student Accounting Association is an on-campus club that enhances students' knowledge and awareness of topics and practices within accounting while promoting career opportunities for all members.
- Through our Accounting Career Awareness Program, a summer program for high school students, you can volunteer as a counselor to gain valuable leadership experience, connect with local professionals and explore downtown firms.
- Our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance course will engage you with the community while growing your skill set.
- You will gain real-world experience through internships and co-ops throughout the Pittsburgh region and beyond, most of which are paid, with students often making upwards of $20 per hour.
Point Park's vibrant urban campus will connect you to a wealth of opportunities in accounting. Apply online today!
Fully Online Degree Program
Point Park's online programs are presented in a flexible format at an affordable cost. Online courses are eight weeks long and are always offered asynchronously for your convenience.
Online students have access to the same great benefits as on-campus students including:
- Point Park faculty with real-world experience.
- Small online class sizes for individualized attention.
- A full spectrum of University resources.
- A student success advisor offering support from application to graduation, who will guide you to successfully complete your degree.
Cohorts begin every eight weeks. Apply online today!
4+1 Master's Program
Our accounting program allows students to earn six credits toward our MBA degree program, making it possible to graduate in five years with an MBA and the 150 credits generally required for CPA licensure.
Additionally, you may enroll in the Rowland School of Business 4+1 Master's Program to obtain six more credits toward your MBA or another master's program in the Rowland School of Business. Learn more about our 4+1 Master's Program.
Meet Our Faculty
Accounting Internships and Co-ops
Students in our accounting program have completed internships and co-ops at a variety of places including:
- PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- Schneider Downs
- Dollar Bank
- EY (Ernst & Young)
Our accounting program prepares students for a variety of careers in the accounting field including:
- Public Accounting Auditor
- Corporate Controller
- FBI Special Agent
- Internal Revenue Service Agent
- Financial Analyst
- Internal Auditor
Internships, Co-Ops & Experiential Learning
Follow the Student Accounting Association
View this profile on Instagram