Fine Arts Program Prepares Students for Creative Professional Careers
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography is a skill-building, tool-based degree designed to prepare and empower students for creative professional careers. We are a fine art program that fosters a technical, lens-based education within a private university.
Understanding how tools work and the avenues in which they can be applied are at the core of our training. Students don’t just learn how to use cameras and Adobe programs, our students problem solve, research, create and communicate in a variety of contemporary formats.
Working alongside professional educators and artists, photography majors have access to industry-standard facilities and equipment, including:
- Digital cameras (full frame DSLR’s, mirrorless and medium format)
- Film cameras (35mm, medium and large format)
- Computer labs for digital editing, ink jet printing and film scanning
- Lighting studios with professional strobe and monolight equipment
- Black and white and color darkrooms for film processing and printing
In the first two years, students learn the tools, skills and processes associated with the medium of photography. The final two years students focus on research topics, production, professional practices and a senior capstone project.
All photography majors have the opportunity to :
- Pursue a minor
- Complete an internship (normally in their junior year, which includes commercial photography)
- Attend cultural events throughout the city of Pittsburgh, including participating in a program with Silver Eye Center for Photography, the only photography gallery in Pittsburgh
- Travel to New York City to explore art with our student club Photography Collective
- Interact with visiting artists through lectures, workshops and critiques
4+1 and Early Start Master's Programs
The School of Communication offers 4+1 and fast track Bachelor/Master's degrees, including:
- Early Start Master's with Rowland School of Business
- 4+1 Master of Arts in Public Relations, Advertising and Social Media
Photography Student Experience
The B.F.A. in photography prepares students to:
- Launch careers as professional artists
- Work creatively in commercial advertising and portrait studios
- Produce compelling work as photojournalists, commercial, editorial and/or fine art photographers
- Apply expertise in museums and galleries and create artwork for public exhibition
- Combine knowledge of image-making with another field
- Write as a professional interpreter and critic
- Engage in graduate studies in fine art programs
Graduates are well-positioned to join a network of alumni who are actively working with local and national media outlets, businesses and organizations, as well as pursuing post-graduate study.