Sports Management Focus
The SAEM department is unique because of its walking distance to so many iconic sports franchises including the Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Strong NCAA organizations are located nearby as well.
However, it's not just the close proximity to sports teams that gives SAEM students an advantage - it's having Point Park alumni working for each organization. These advantages translate into networking and shadowing opportunities, industry experts in the classroom, internships, and, ultimately, jobs.
SAEM Alumni Working in Sports
Our SAEM alumni working in the sports management field include:
- Austin Brooks, marketing manager and assistant in football operations, SLG Sports and Entertainment
- Dana Drewniak, group events specialist, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Ashley Johnson, special events coordinator, Sports Authority Field at Mile High
- Samantha Lynn, advertising coordinator, Pittsburgh Pirates
- Meghan McCabe, club manager, Heinz Field
- Evan Schall, new media coordinator, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Fausto Severino, Latin America crosschecker, Washington Nationals
- David Wilson, instant replay technician and game day assistant, Philadelphia Eagles
Sports-Focused Faculty, Course Work and Internships
Faculty teaching sports management-focused courses in the SAEM department include include Steve Tanzilli, J.D., dean of the Rowland School of Business and sports talent agent; Robert Derda, former general manager of Learfield Sports; and Jennifer (Bullano) Ridgley, senior director of communications for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Sports management courses in the SAEM major include:
- Sales & Revenue Generation
- Media Relations in Sports
- Sports Agents
- Managing a Sports Organization
Additionally, a full-semester internship, working with industry professionals, is required to complete the SAEM degree program. Multiple internships throughout the program are encouraged.
Learn more about the SAEM major.