Chris Rolinson, M.F.A.
Associate Professor of Photography, Photojournalism
Coordinator, Environmental Journalism
- M.F.A., Film and Digital Technology, Chatham University
- M.A., Journalism and Mass Communication, Point Park University
- B.A., Art, Slippery Rock University
- Photojournalism I
- Photojournalism II
- Documentary Photography
- Introduction to Digital Photography
- Studio Photography
- Specialized Photography
As a student in the Slippery Rock University Art Department, Christopher Rolinson discovered his passion for photography after a tour of duty in the U.S. Army. He merged fine art photography with communication and politics. Upon graduation, he practiced photojournalism at the Steubenville, Ohio, Herald-Star.
Rolinson has continued with freelance work and has been published in The New York Times, Washington Post, Baltimore Sun, The Associated Press and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
At Point Park, he has spearheaded significant changes in the photography and photojournalism programs. He grew the programs from their infancy to well over 100 students and has introduced new courses, collaborations and partnerships to expand and diversify both programs.
With his students, he coordinated a traveling exhibition that featured their work on the inauguration of President Barack Obama. His students have gone on to professional opportunities at major media outlets including National Geographic Magazine, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and regional newspapers in several states. Rolinson also plays an active role in the visual and multimedia marketing for the University.
Rolinson is also the coordinator of Point Park's new environmental journalism program. The program - made possible through a grant from The Heinz Endowments - provides the core foundation of journalism and environmental science training and hands-on experience via a partnership with Point Park's School of Communication and Department of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology.
In addition to his academic and professional work, he volunteers his media relations skills to several local organizations including the Coraopolis Train Station project, the Hollow Oak Land Trust and the Slippery Rock-based Potters Water Action Group.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- National Press Photographers Association
- The Society of Photographic Education
- The American Society of Media Photographers
- Gigapan Magazine, contributing editor
- "Long Term Projects for the Professor," National Press Photographers Association, 2010
Selected Works and Expeditions
- #lunchhourpgh exhibit, River Gallery in Cleveland, Ohio
- Veteran Voices of Pittsburgh, photographer and videographer
- The Veteran's Breakfast Club, videographer
- Inauguration of President Barack Obama
- G20 Pittsburgh Summit
- Amistad National Recreation Area Artist-in-Residency
- Aftermath of war in Kosovo and Serbia
- Transition to capitalism and democracy in Hungary and Slovakia
- Narrative storytelling
- Visual Ethnography
- Experimenting with methods to further develop functional non-linear interactive documentary and photojournalistic gigapixel photographs
- Selected as one of Pittsburgh's '40 under 40,' 2011
Point Park Features
- "Faculty Profile: Meet Christopher Rolinson, Associate Professor of Photojournalism," Point Park University website, July 22, 2014.
- "Photography, Engineering Department Collaborate on Camera Dolly Project," Point Park University website, May 21, 2013.
- "Silk Road Exhibit Provides Practical Experience for Photography Students," Point Park University website, May 6, 2013.
- "Professor Records War Stories for Veteran Voices of Pittsburgh," Point Park University website, June 14, 2012.
- "Rolinson Named One of Pittsburgh's '40 Under 40'," Point Park University website, Oct. 31, 2011.
- "Photo Book Depicts Beauty of State Parks," Point Park University website, Dec. 7, 2009.
In the News
- "Pittsburgh Company Guarantees Photos Will Last Forever," KDKA-TV, Dec. 18, 2015.
- "Renovations Under Way at Coraopolis Train Station," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Dec. 9, 2015.
- "Listen to Veterans' Combat Stories for Invaluable Perspective," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 29, 2015.
- "Effort Underway to Restore Iconic Coraopolis Train Station," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, April 17, 2015.
- "Foundation Makes Online Plea to Preserve Coraopolis Railroad Station," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, March 19, 2015.
- "Artists' Exhibit at Carnegie Museum of Art Shows the Power of a Photo," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, June 3, 2014.
- "Braddock-Based Group Works on Filters for the Water in Nigeria," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Aug. 22, 2013.