David Fabilli, M.A.
- M.A., American Cultural Studies, Youngstown State University
- B.A., Journalism, Duquesne University
- Introduction to Broadcasting
- Radio Production
- Radio Station Practices
- Radio/TV Announcing
- Broadcast Programming & Formatting
- Radio/TV Copy Writing
- Effective Speech
David J. Fabilli, professor emeritus of broadcasting, has been on Point Park's Journalism and Communications faculty since the 1980s. Known professionally as David Jaye, he's also been a familiar voice on Pittsburgh radio since the 1970s, having worked on a number of area radio stations, including WDUQ, WJJJ, 3WS, WJAS, WYJZ, WDSY and WWCS. He has increasingly developed a specialty in jazz radio, winning an Achievement in Radio Award for Best Specialty Program in 1996 for his weekly jazz magazine "Jazzin' Around." That program is now being aired on a handful of non-commercial stations around the country and is podcast to some 10,000 worldwide listeners via iTunes. He is also heard hosting weekday afternoons on the JazzWorks national radio service, heard on some 30 non-commercial stations around the country.
He has been an active Grammy-voting member of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences. His liner notes have appeared on more than 20 nationally released jazz albums, six of which reached a No. 1 album. The 2013 album, 'Naturally' by saxophonist Houston Person is one of which spent five weeks at the top of the jazz chart.
During the past 10 years, Fabilli has produced a dozen "Best of" albums, including two 3-disc sets by legendary saxophonist David 'Fathead' Newman and also by organist Charles Earland.
Each year, Fabilli accompanies a group of his radio students to New York City for the annual Intercollegiate Broadcasting System College Radio Conference. He takes pride in several WPPJ students who have earned both finalist and top honors in the IBS College Radio Awards for five years in a row. He has also traveled extensively attending international jazz festivals and conferences in New Orleans, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Washington, D.C., San Antonio, Toronto and has covered the famed Newport Jazz Festival four times.
With a laid-back and easy-going personality, his passion for excellence and fun in radio, music, Italian food and coaching motivated broadcast students is what spark him to life.
- Intercollegiate Broadcasting System
- American Federation of Television & Radio Artists
- National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Paley Center for Media
- Jazz Education Network
Selected Artistic Works
- Naturally (HighNote: 7245), Houston Person, wrote liner notes, 2012
- Jazzin' Around, producer/host, a weekly two-hour jazz magazine show on WURP/1550am
- Jazzin' Around, columnist, suburban McKeesport Daily News, 1993-2004
- The Soulful Mr. Newman: The Best of David 'Fathead' Newman, researcher/producer/wrote liner notes, 2005
- Scorched, Seared & Smokin': The Best of The Mighty Burner, researcher/producer/wrote liner notes, 2011
Selected Professional Activities
- "Improving Your On-Air Delivery," Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference for College Radio, presented, 2013 and 2014 and at Point Park University's High School Media Day Workshop, 2012-2014.
- "Jazz Radio Programming," Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference for College Radio, chaired panel session, New York City, 2011-2014.
- "Broadcast Careers," Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference for College Radio, chaired panel session, New York City, 2011-2014.
- Served as member of Conclave Scholarship Committee, The Radio Learning Conference, Minneapolis, Minn., 2010-2011.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Voted "Outstanding Point Park faculty member" by faculty committee, 2005
- "The Jazz Place" radio program, Pittsburgh Achievement in Radio Award, 1996
- Pittsburgh/Mellon Jazz Festival's "Outstanding Contribution to Pittsburgh Jazz" Award, 1984
Point Park Features
- "WPPJ Nominated for College Radio Awards," Point Park University website, Jan. 16, 2015.
- "International Media Class Travels to Paris, London and Northern France," Point Park University website, June 20, 2014.
- "WPPJ Earns Top Honors at Radio Awards," Point Park University website, April 1, 2014.
- "WPPJ Nominated for Radio Awards," Point Park University website, Feb. 25, 2014.
- "Students Travel to Germany to Study Media Landscape," Point Park University website, June 28, 2013.
- "WPPJ Nominated for Five Intercollegiate Broadcasting Awards," Point Park University website, Feb. 6, 2013.
- "Professor Writes Liner Notes For No.1 Album on JazzWeek Music Chart," Point Park University website, Jan. 7, 2013.
- "Students Examine Media and Culture During Class Trip to Italy," Point Park University website, June 29, 2012.
In the News
- "Radio Host's Liner Notes On Jazz Cds May Be Historic," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 17, 2013.