Sean Elliot Martin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Criminal Justice & Intelligence Studies
Online Director, B.S. in Criminal Justice and M.A. in Intelligence & Global Security Programs
Coordinator, B.S. in Intelligence & National Security Program
- Office: 400D Academic Hall
- Phone: 412-392-3806
- Fax: 412-392-3925
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor of Arts, English Literature, University of Toledo
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Point Park University
- Master of Arts, English Literature, Eastern Michigan University
- Master of Science, Environmental Studies, Point Park University
- Doctor of Philosophy, English, Duquesne University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Martial Arts Philosophy, College of Advanced Education and Martial Arts Studies, EUSAIMAA
- Professional Certificate, Intelligence and National Security, Point Park University
- Critical Thinking for Analysts
- Intelligence Analyst/Critical Thinking
- Misinformation and Psy Ops
- Identifying and Analyzing Propaganda
- Research Methods in Security and Intelligence Studies
- Communications and Writing for Intelligence
- Thesis Project
Sean Elliot Martin, Ph.D., M.S., is an associate professor in the Department of Criminal Justice and Intelligence Studies and the online director for the B.S. in criminal justice and M.A. in national & global security programs at Point Park University. He is also the coordinator for the B.S. in intelligence & national security program.
Martin has served as a consultant, trainer, researcher, writer and business intelligence analyst for a wide variety of domestic and international organizations and companies, including the Allegheny County District Attorney's Intelligence Department, the 303rd Psychological Operations Unit of the U.S. Army Reserves and businesses across the world. Martin is also the founder and grandmaster (10th degree black belt) of the Kage-Essensu Defense System, which he teaches to students and employees of Point Park.
Research Interests and Specializations
- Interdisciplinary approaches to criminal justice and intelligence studies
- Intelligence writing
- Psychological approaches to literary and cultural studies
- Research methodology and critical thinking
- Public and professional speaking
- World cultures and religions
- Psychological analysis of cultural documents
- Journalism (research and writing)
- "Structuralist Methods of Psy Op Target Analysis, A Supplemental Manual," distributed by the 303rd Psychological Operations Unit of the Army Reserves, 2015.
- Pittsburgh, the Greatest City in the World, (with Heath Curran), CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2009.
- Doing Good Works: Small Acts that Make a Big Difference, (co-written with Bryan Douglas), Think Big Press, 2009.
- "The Protector's Pages: 101 tips for crime prevention and self-defense," widely distributed online and in hard copy, 2005.
- "Crime Prevention and Cultural Analysis," Eastern USA International Black Belt Hall of Fame Seminar Series, 2014.
- "Pre-Industrial Intelligence Tradecraft," Eastern USA International Black Belt Hall of Fame Seminar Series, 2013.
- "Lethal Kage-Essensu Survival Combat for Federal Law Enforcement and Military Personnel," Eastern USA International Black Belt Hall of Fame Seminar Series, 2012.
- "A History of Espionage in the Pittsburgh Region," Moon Township Historical Society, 2012.
- "Introduction to Forensic Martial Arts Analysis Theory," Eastern USA International Black Belt Hall of Fame Seminar Series, 2011.
- "The Border of Twilight: Representations of Nocturnal America, Modern Language Association International Conference, 2000.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Ph.D., Martial Arts Philosophy, College of Advanced Education and Martial Arts Studies
- Alpha Chai Honor Society for work in forensic psychology
- Certificate of Distinguished Faculty Excellence, Duquesne University Spiritan Division
- Golden Key Honor Society for Ph.D. work in English
- Tenth Degree Black Belt of the Kage-Essensu Survival Combat/Law Enforcement Technique
- Fifth Degree Black Belt of Combat Jiu-Jitsu and Freestyle Karate
- Grandmaster of the Year and Outstanding Contribution to the Martial Arts, Eastern USA International Martial Arts Association Black Belt Hall of Fame
- Special recognition from the Chief of Police of Dormont
- International Pewter Award of Leadership
- 2015 Martial Arts Excellence Award, International Black Belt Hall of Fame
Current Professional Memberships
- Member, Order of the Sword and Shield
- Associate Member, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement
- Member, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Member, Eastern USA International Martial Arts Association Black Belt Hall of Fame
- Instructor of crime prevention and self-defense
- Co-founder, Pittsburgh People Helping People (2010)
- Co-coordinator, Paint it Forward art for charity
- Co-founder, Pittsburgh Arts for Change
- Instructor, self-defense for blind students (1997-1998)
In the News
- "New Book Lists Little Ways to Make a Big Difference in the World," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, March 28, 2021.
Point Park Features
- "Intelligence and National Security Student, Alumna Work Together at Software Engineering Institute," Point Park University website, May 2, 2023.
- "Father and Daughter Reflect on Benefits of Point Park University's Criminal Justice and Intelligence Programs," Point Park University website, May 20, 2022.
- "Faculty Tout Intelligence Field's Inclusivity and Interdisciplinary Opportunities," Point Park University website, Jan. 31, 2022.
- "Faculty Q&A: Professors Break Down Hollywood's Version of the Intelligence Field," Point Park University website, June 24, 2021.
- "Blood Splatter Analysis is a Hit at Annual CSI High School Summer Camp," Point Park University website, July 23, 2019.
- "Alumna and Assistant Police Chief Maurita Bryant Honored by Criminal Justice Club," Point Park University website, April 26, 2018.
- "Professor from University of Salford Manchester Presents to Point Park Intelligence Majors," Point Park University website, March 20, 2018.
- "Criminal Justice and Intel Instructor Honored by Black Belt Hall of Fame," Point Park University website, Nov. 30, 2017.
- "Criminal Justice Club Honors Pittsburgh Police Chief Scott Schubert," Point Park University website, May 2, 2017.
- "Thirteen Students Inducted into Alpha Phi Sigma National Criminal Justice Honor Society," Point Park University website, March 30, 2017.
- "Criminal Justice Club Shows Appreciation for Pittsburgh Police Officers," Point Park University website, December 16, 2016.
- "Criminal Justice and Forensic Science Students Inducted into Alpha Phi Sigma Honor Society," Point Park University website, April 26, 2016.
- "Campus Event Focuses on Reintegrating Veterans into the Workforce," Point Park University website, April 13, 2016.
- "Criminal Justice and Intelligence Majors Help Soldiers With Outdoor Training Exercise," Point Park University website, December 11, 2015.
- "Meet Sean Elliot Martin, Ph.D., Instructor of Criminal Justice and Intelligence Studies," Point Park University website, April 22, 2015.
- "Intelligence Majors Assist 303rd Psychological Operations Unit With Training Exercise," Point Park University website, March 11, 2015.